Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[Switch Toolbox] How to properly convert yellow/orange normal maps to blue
Ripping Switch models using Toolbox usually results in yellow-colored normal maps.

For years I've simply inverted them and assumed problem solved, since it appeared to now have the proper colors.

But now I directly compared my result from that method to a rip done by a staff member, and it is different.

This is the raw image I get with Toolbox.
[Image: szNQ06T.png]

Inverting it gives me this:
[Image: dBVh4Ta.png]

However, it should look like this:
[Image: emMxjSp.png]

This suggests that there's a more complex conversion process than simply inverting, or there's some setting in Toolbox I need to change. Google is yielding me less than nothing on this matter. I also wasn't sure whether to post this in the models or textures section, but I went with the former because this is for the purpose of a model rip.

Found a solution in Toolbox: for some reason the normal maps will have their Blue channel set to zero. If you change that to Blue, the image is fixed. I found this solution in a game-specific tutorial but I think it should be searchable on its own because it applies to every game I've tried to rip from using Toolbox, and I definitely would not have figured that out without a lot of trial and error.

An even simpler solution: uncheck "use texture channel swaps" when exporting.
[Image: OOovP5l.gif]
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
[Switch Toolbox] How to properly convert yellow/orange normal maps to blue - by Fawfulthegreat64 - 10-21-2023, 01:26 PM