Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
The Spritesheet Process Bible
Daxar's Sprite Sheeter actually does such a thing (the sheet I linked was made with that). It definitely helps a lot but still, not everybody uses it (for various reasons).

I do have an idea for a very cool file format to accommodate both sheet viewing and use in games/animations/whatever. It's still a long way from anything (I only have ideas and haven't done any solid planning) but I think it's something that could potentially become the preferred format for the site at some point, provided it actually becomes a reliable format and the admins agree.

The idea is essentially that it stores things like animation frames, names, framerates, and so forth. You could have one program that views them in a spritesheet form (where you can choose background colour, spacing, etc), and possibly a script that does the same online. Other things such as game engines could actually read in the file and use the animations in-game. In essence, it's not much different to how a lot of PC games store their sprites. The difference would be that it's standard, and so you could view them on a single program or, indeed, a website.

There would still be the problem of hard-ripping and figuring out bounding boxes (and I doubt all sheets could be converted to it) but for sprites that do have that information (such as Nuclear Throne), it could be very handy. At the very least it's something I want to experiment with.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
The Spritesheet Process Bible - by ToonTrout - 10-28-2017, 10:57 PM
RE: The Spritesheet Process Bible - by puggsoy - 10-28-2017, 11:28 PM
RE: The Spritesheet Process Bible - by ToonTrout - 10-29-2017, 12:55 AM
RE: The Spritesheet Process Bible - by puggsoy - 10-29-2017, 01:55 AM
RE: The Spritesheet Process Bible - by ToonTrout - 10-29-2017, 02:28 AM
RE: The Spritesheet Process Bible - by Davy Jones - 11-03-2017, 08:32 PM