Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Bridging the Gap - The cultural exchange thread
(05-16-2017, 02:24 PM)Goemar Wrote: French fries and chips are 2 different things...

A bit late but: NZ is pretty similar to the UK with terms for food so I feel like I have something to say here. We do often call fries chips, but the word is also used for crisps. When trying to be unambiguous fries/crisps is usually said for clarity, but most of the time you can say chips and the context will make it obvious what you mean (e.g. fish n chips).

(05-12-2017, 07:27 AM)PatientZero Wrote: Basically, I am confused, what are pies doing in your country?

Here when you say pie you almost always mean a classic meat pie. Most commonly you have mince or steak, with or without cheese, by this I mean the ones you get at the shops or at a dairy. Some places that make their own pies have more variety, for example a place at my university has bacon and cheese, potato topped (mashed potato as a cover instead of pastry), mince with mushrooms, etc. Some places might put some veggies in which I love.
Obviously if you say apple pie you usually mean the same apple pie as in the US (or the one from McD), but the word pie itself typically implies meat.

Oh yeah and if anybody has NZ questions I'm here now. Apparently we're the only place where frozen Coke is a thing, is that true?
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: N-nice Sweater, Allison... - The Love Life Thread - by puggsoy - 05-18-2017, 07:07 AM