Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Game Series That Are Best 2D (or 3D)
(08-13-2016, 04:57 PM)Koh Wrote: Well for starters, the Zelda series.  Not that any of the 3D games are BAD or anything, but I feel the most creative puzzles and items came from the 2D games, and worked well within that medium since there's no stipulations to adhere to as there are when working in 3D space.  For example, A Link to the Past's/Oracle of Ages' Cane of Somaria, Oracle of Ages' Switch Hook, Oracle of Seasons'/Four Swords' Magnetic Gloves, Minish Cap's Cane of Pacci.  These concepts would be totally broken in 3D space, since they'd completely affect the area design in a way that prevents  the entire layout of the puzzle from being seen at once, due to having to compensate for verticality and camera angles.

Gonna go ahead and agree with this right here. I really preferred the top-down LoZ games and although that includes Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, the 2D ones were probably the best of the batch. Keeping in mind that I have a huge bias (barely having played any of the 3D games) I do think that the series shined in 2D.
I think it's a bit of a shame that Nintendo is moving towards 3D stuff so heavily since, while it's not necessarily a bad thing, I personally would like to see more 2D LoZ games (or just 2D games in general).

I also feel like sidescrollers in general work better in 2D. There are some really nice 3D ones (Trine), but unless there is some sort of mechanic or gimmick in the game that actually uses the third dimension, it can often hinder the experience rather than enhance it. As with everything, it depends on the game, but I feel like 2D movement is just better presented and experienced in a 2D world. The controls also feel more crisp in my opinion, although that might just be with 2D vs 3D in general.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by: miyabi95_, Filler

Messages In This Thread
Game Series That Are Best 2D (or 3D) - by Koh - 08-13-2016, 04:57 PM
RE: Game Series That Are Best 2D (or 3D) - by puggsoy - 08-16-2016, 07:35 AM
RE: Game Series That Are Best 2D (or 3D) - by Koh - 08-17-2016, 08:23 PM