Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Avast being intrusive
I removed avast pretty shortly after installing it

My laptop doesn't have anything right now, but I was using a combination of:

Malwarebytes (free, ofc..)
Tdsskiller (i most likely misspelled this, i always do)
ESET Online Scanner
a few online url and file scanning services

on my desktop. Seemed to work pretty well.

Petie, you're absolutely right about what commercial AV's are these days.
It's also just wonderful most of them now lack any form of shut-off switch/button.
Pretty sure one of my friends says he doesn't use them at all, anymore. They waste resources, are bloated with ads, essentially hi-jack your computer, detect the wrong files, and tend to miss some of the legitimate threatening or unwanted programs.

However,
I personally wouldn't rely on anything created or endorsed by microsoft, though. I've already had numerous problems with the programs they endorse, and some of the stuff that they've made is complete crap. I've never relied on or trusted the security features or add-ons. Can't say I've heard anyone recommend them, either. That's just how I feel, but also, if these tools were particularly useful, why would it be practically mandatory to install some form of AV, or to scan links or files, or be so extremely cautious while on the web? Maybe they're more reliable than their reputation (or past reputation, I don't give too many programs a second chance, nor do I bother researching them, except how to remove if it's one of...THOSE) would suggest, but I still don't feel confident using them.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
Avast being intrusive - by psychospacecow - 07-12-2016, 09:37 AM
RE: Avast being intrusive - by Petie - 07-12-2016, 11:45 AM
RE: Avast being intrusive - by Kosheh - 07-18-2016, 08:42 AM
RE: Avast being intrusive - by DarkGrievous7145 - 07-12-2016, 02:24 PM
RE: Avast being intrusive - by Jinzo-Advance - 07-12-2016, 08:59 PM