Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Localizations (the best and worst)
(04-24-2016, 09:44 AM)Koh Wrote: But if we're going to talk shows, that goes for just about any anime dub ever.  It's really dumb how they completely change what the characters say.  I don't mean giving us literal translations, but rather, changing the meaning of what was said.

For example, Dragon Ball (Z) is littered with this everywhere.  If we take a scene as an example...the Buu Saga, where Goku is talking to Vegeta, trying to convince him to use the Potara Earring.  In the original Japanese dub, he's just saying that they aren't strong enough to face him now, and the earrings will make them stronger, to save their friends.  But in the English dub, they made him talk about building a new Saiyan Race, one that can be just as proud.  What?

I give the localization credit for two things:

One, every single theme Vegeta has throughout the whole show. Say what you will about the American soundtrack, everything Vegeta-related was excellent.

Two, renaming Hell to the Home For Infinite Losers. That's a superior name.

There were a couple other changes I didn't mind - explaining more clearly that Gero's Android project was directly inspired by Goku packing all the power of an army into a singular being, for example. But I think a lot of the problems with the dub were because of the way it started. It definitely got... more faithful around the Android saga but by then, it's not like you can change everything they already wrote for the localization.
[Image: StickerStageItems.png]
Check out this review blog thing I do! Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch was the latest review!
Thanked by: miyabi95_

Messages In This Thread
Localizations (the best and worst) - by miyabi95_ - 04-17-2016, 01:48 AM
RE: Localizations (the best and worst) - by Koh - 04-17-2016, 11:19 AM
RE: Localizations (the best and worst) - by K0n9 - 04-21-2016, 06:57 AM
RE: Localizations (the best and worst) - by Koh - 04-24-2016, 09:44 AM
RE: Localizations (the best and worst) - by Zero Kirby - 04-24-2016, 02:49 PM
RE: Localizations (the best and worst) - by Koh - 04-24-2016, 07:54 PM