Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Anthropomorphic characters (What are some of your favorites?)
(04-12-2016, 05:29 PM)Benny The Miraj Wrote:
(04-12-2016, 04:01 AM)Koopaul Wrote: So I noticed in video games the amount of cartoony anthros have declined and I believe its because no one takes those kinds of characters "seriously" anymore. Like such a character can't be the star of a deep story, only someone who looks like Cloud Strife or Master Chief can be taken that way.

Such an idea obviously annoyed me and inspired me to make my own cartoony anthro and put him in a world that already has a "chosen hero" who looks like Link or a FF protagonist. I wanted to contrast these two types of characters we see in video games using the theme of peoples-expectations vs self-determination.

I bring this up because another topic started talking about cartoony anthros being used in a more serious role.

That might be why I like Elder Scrolls so much is that it has a dark, gritty story, but it lets you play as anthro characters anyway, and still comes off as serious. I mean, the Argonians and Kajiit were never really true favorites of mine (the Kajiit in Skyrim are cool though), but in a game market oversaturated with dark, gritty human characters who hunt aliens, animals, monsters and misanthropic people, even a dark, gritty anthro character is a nice thing to see.

...Still, I do wish there were more games with more whimsy to them. I kind of missed when all games weren't dark and typical.

Well Zelda has those big friendly Goron and other races. But the hero is still an attractive human. See ID like it if there was a Zelda game where you're in Hyrule and there's this legendary hero named Link that everyone loves, but you don't play as him... Instead you play as a random Goron or something. At some point in the game the hero Link fails in his adventure and now it's up to a goofy Goron to save Hyrule.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anthropomorphic characters (What are some of your favorites?) - by Koopaul - 04-12-2016, 06:37 PM