Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Character designs: THE SUBJECTIVITY THREAD :'D
[Image: Wario-Auction-Game-Sales.jpg]
Can I just take a moment here to express how much I've always really appreciated Wario's design. And it's all for one simple reason. Wario is supposed to be the "evil Mario", and with that in mind, you would think they would either make him just a literal dark clone of Mario, or they would emphasize how opposite he is from Mario. But instead of making him the opposite of Mario, they instead do the reverse and take Mario's well-known attributes and emphasize them to the extreme.

For example, what are some of Mario's most well known characteristics?

- Everyone knows how much Mario likes to collect gold coins, THERFORE Wario is a super greedy treasure hoarder.

- Mario is well known for his moustache, THEREFORE Wario has an even more crazy absurd moustache.

- Mario is known for being pudgy, THEREFORE Wario is super fat. Just look at the stress he puts on the buttonholes of his overalls! They're stretched to the point it's surprised the buttons aren't popping!

- Mario is known for wearing bright primary colors, THEREFORE Wario's clothes are even brighter and more colorful. His color scheme is simply ridiculous.

- Everyone knows Mario has a large nose, THEREFORE Wario's nose is even moreso exaggerated. It's even pink to draw more attention to it.

- Mario is known for being happy-go-lucky, with his shouts of "yipee" and "wah-ha" etc. even during times when his girlfriend is in danger and everything is trying to kill him. THEREFORE Wario has a permanent smile on his face, with the biggest whitest pearly teeth you've ever seen.

- Mario is well known for the egotistical "M" emblem on his hat, THEREFORE Wario's is even more dramatic, with his "W" emblem being so ridiculously big it doesn't even fit inside the little white circle provided for it. He even puts them on his gloves to emphasize his egotism.

- Mario is known for his odd dietary habits consisting almost entirely of mushrooms. THEREFORE Wario eats something even more bizarre almost constantly: raw garlic.

- Mario is also a very strong person, having the ability to shatter bricks with nothing but his fist. THEREFORE Wario is even more ridiculously strong. But not only is he just stronger, but he emphasizes it in his visual design by wearing a shirt that shows off his guns, unlike Mario who prefers his long sleeves.

There are probably a lot more things that I could say that don't come immediately to mind. But the point is that I adore the idea that taking Mario's attributes to the extreme results in a bad guy.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Character designs: THE SUBJECTIVITY THREAD :'D - by Jermungandr - 04-03-2016, 01:39 PM