Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Most frustrating game levels/moments/anythings?
I like Sonic 3 & Knuckles' Special Stages. It takes a while to get used to, but it's possible to clear them the first try, because you are given time to analyze and react, unlike a certain halfpipe that can go suck an echidna.

Besides, aside from the fact that Warp Rings are plentiful, easy to access and are worth 50 rings when all Chaos/Super Emeralds are collected, because of the save feature and ability to play levels you've beaten, you can retry them as often as you like. Even the Emerald collection progress is saved, so you don't have to get them all in one go and if you got 'em all, you didn't have to get them again. PLUS, with the aforementioned level select option, you can blaze through all zones from start to finish as Super/Hyper whatever. So satisfying!

But I'm rambling here and this is a topic about frustration. Sonic 2's Special Stages are bad. Your retries are limited, it requires sharp as fuck memory and the controls suck. Subsequent halfpipe stages aren't as bad, but still the big stinkers among Special Stages. Sonic 1's spinning maze Special Stages are tolerable.

You know what else I find frustrating? Hard levels without checkpoints or checkpoints being too far apart. This is my biggest gripe with the 3D Mario games since Galaxy. I'm not the kind of guy that enters the next level when it's available if there's shit to collect in the last.
That Fire Dino Pirahna Daredevil Run in Galazy 1? Screw that!
Champion's Road in 3D World and similar courses? Screw those too! "Oh, but the lack of checkpoints is what makes them challenging." No! That's dumb! That's bullshit! It doesn't change a thing about the level design! All it does is saving me the trouble of overcoming certain obstacles I already overcame a million times before!

I rage quit Galaxy 2 the other day. Bowser's Galaxy Generator, at the part with the Yoshi, I have to first swing across the lava to the left, beat 2 Boomerang Bros., use the Dash Pepper to run past the lava walls that are closing in on eachother, ride the snake blocks and the FUCKING BLARGG GOT ME AGAIN!!! Now I have to do all that shit AGAIN! Rinse and fucking repeat. Why do I screw up? Camera perspective. A nice little bird's eye view in my back so I can't tell how high I'm jumping or how far ahead an obstacle is that isn't grounded (that includes the Blargg, because he drops no shadow and lunges at you). You know, that's another one for my frustration list. The fucking cameras in 3D platformers.

TL;DR
Sonic 2 Special Stages suck!
Lack or scarsity of checkpoints where they're needed suck. Champion's Road and the like especially suck!
Perspective in 3D platformers sucks!
[Image: QUmE6.gif]
My Game Maker games (Dropbox download links):

Thanked by: miyabi95_

Messages In This Thread
RE: Most frustrating game levels/moments/anythings? - by NICKtendo DS - 02-11-2016, 05:53 PM