Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
(Lack Of)Female Enemies in Video Games
(12-08-2015, 06:20 AM)Gors Wrote:
(12-05-2015, 10:13 PM)TomSawyer1 Wrote: I see girls everywhere

I nominate this for TVGR best post 2015

as for female enemies, I believe we're getting closer to equal representation. It's still not much and there's lots to improve, but we're definitely seeing improvement.

Speaking of which(not particularly on track with the enemies discussion)...I like how Lucina's a very well-balanced female character. Her design isn't overly-feminine or overly-masculine, she doesn't wear anything too skimpy, her color pallette includes a lot of navy-ish blues, her voice is flexible enough to give off a feminine and masculine tone, and probably many other things too. This is mostly based on what I know of her appearance in Smash Bros. - I'm generally not very interested in Fire Emblem.

Aaaaaaanybutt...For enemies, I'd like for there to be a good mixture of enemies that appear to give the appearance of a gender, but are just enemies to be destroyed so there's no need to worry too much. I'm pretty much talking about the Super Mario universe. I remember having an official strategy guide for Paper Mario back in the day(despite not actually owning an N64), and all I would do is look through the catalog of different enemies because the aesthetic made them look so interesting. It was back when I was a kid and boys had to be boys and girls had to be girls, so I could easily make those assumptions about the enemies in Paper Mario. But nowadays, I think of most Mario enemies as genderless because eventually they'll be stepped on or hit with fireballs. There are exceptions though...Too many for me to name off the top of my head Tongue.

I appreciate the people who fight for equal representation, but of course there are people who misinterpret "equal" as "dominance." The world isn't perfect though. And now that I think about it, the Animal Crossing games are perfect examples of equal representation of gender. You can choose to be male or female and look the way you want (some restrictions of course, but the choices are still there). There are male and female residents in your town. The visual style looks cute and bubbly, but I wouldn't say it's enough to give off a gender bias. I never really thought about that...
[Image: ErbRIBqVkAUtE8F?format=png&name=900x900]
Instagram Twitch Twitter YouTube
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: (Lack Of)Female Enemies in Video Games - by miyabi95_ - 12-08-2015, 08:32 PM