Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Do "Perfect" Games Exist For You?
When I often think about "perfect", I think about other people, and in that case it can never be perfect. No matter how much I like a game, someone else won't like it as much and then it won't be perfect. By this definition it's impossible to make a perfect game.

If we're just talking about only my opinion, well, then I still think that it's really not possible to make a perfect game. Pretty much every game has something that could be improved upon, and it simply wasn't because it can only be noticed in hindsight. Perfecting it afterwards doesn't make it perfect anymore, because a perfect game would have everything 100% on-point from the start.

A perfect game would be the most fun, exciting, emotional, challenging, and memorable experience. It'd have infinite replayability without becoming any less fun, but that would also mean that you wouldn't ever want to play any other game. So even if it was possible, I think I wouldn't want it to exist. Because I love playing different games, all the variations and awesome things they do, despite their flaws. A truly perfect game would render every other game trash (for whoever renders that game perfect), and I think that would just be a shame.

OK, now I'll actually talk about it more realistically.
In terms of 10/10, I don't really rate games (at least not on a scale). I do often go over the graphics, music, and aesthetics, but I don't really like saying "well the graphics were 5/10, gameplay was 7/10 and music was also a 5, so I'd rate it about a 5.6/10". I just think about how much the graphics related to the gameplay, if they actually had an impact on my decisions and how I experienced it, if it would work better or worse with a different art style. And the music, did it also affect me much, was it actually a part of the game or more of something to listen to in the background? If I start rating it on scales, I look at it more objectively, as individual pieces rather than how they come together as a whole. Whether the aesthetics in a game are good or bad depends, in my opinion, on the game itself. One example I often use is VVVVVV. Some people would say it's terrible graphics, or "too retro". I think that, while the game would also work well with more detailed graphics, the style was still enjoyable in the game, and allowed me to focus more on the puzzles.

So yeah, it's hard for me to say if a game is perfect for me. I would say that some games I enjoyed a lot, wherever the joy actually comes from, be it how beautiful it looked, how challenging it was and the sense of achievement, if it was funny to mess around, felt good to help NPCs, the story was intriguing, it made me think in interesting ways, or any other of the hundreds things that make a game "fun". The ones that I enjoyed the most, and replayed (or plan to replay) to enjoy them again, are probably those which I would consider the closest to "perfect".
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford

Messages In This Thread
Do "Perfect" Games Exist For You? - by Koh - 12-05-2015, 11:11 PM
RE: Do "Perfect" Games Exist For You? - by puggsoy - 12-06-2015, 12:32 AM
RE: Do "Perfect" Games Exist For You? - by Gors - 12-06-2015, 10:07 AM
RE: Do "Perfect" Games Exist For You? - by Koh - 12-06-2015, 10:45 AM
RE: Do "Perfect" Games Exist For You? - by Kriven - 12-06-2015, 11:03 AM
RE: Do "Perfect" Games Exist For You? - by Koh - 12-06-2015, 05:50 PM
RE: Do "Perfect" Games Exist For You? - by Koh - 12-07-2015, 12:45 AM
RE: Do "Perfect" Games Exist For You? - by Koh - 12-07-2015, 06:52 AM
RE: Do "Perfect" Games Exist For You? - by Kriven - 12-07-2015, 07:36 AM
RE: Do "Perfect" Games Exist For You? - by Marth - 12-07-2015, 11:47 AM
RE: Do "Perfect" Games Exist For You? - by Koh - 12-07-2015, 02:31 PM