Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
What Draws You Toward A Game?
Story(If it has/need one): It needs to be a story to intrigue me if it has one, or one that I would get enjoyment in playing it... especially if it's a new series or a series I never played before. No decent story, and it could be the "Game of the year" and chances are I would hate it.

Gameplay: This don't even need explanation but... whatever. The game needs to have a decent control set-up, or at least a way to customize controls in the way you would like. If I don't like the control layout and have no way of changing it, there will be some problems and possible frustrations with me and the game which might make me not want to play it anymore.
Next is how responsive the game it. The game can't feel clunky or like there's a delay in what supposed to happen between me and the screen. Some find that challenging, while I find it an annoyance.

Content(Talking about already within the game and not locked content): The game needs to have a decent amount of things to do in it as well. A game that I can beat in one sitting these days or even within a few days to a week, isn't a game I would be likely to bother with or care of touching the game. I will continue this onto the next one.

Replayability: With content, the game needs to have the right "stuff" to keep me playing it even after one playthrough. Maybe 2... 3.... 7... or even 15 playthroughs. Stuff to unlock is really great to have in games as it adds more to look forward to and try out as you continue playing. New Game+ games (when done right) also brings a lot of replay value to me as I do like to see what's new in the next playthrough or maybe see what I missed while not losing all of my progress from the last time.
I do not consider multiplayer as a replay value as after a while it does get boring as it usually never changes. The players do, yes, but not the game. Which brings me to...

DLC(Does not mean Disc-Locked-Content): If the game already plans for DLC to be day 1, it better be god DLC. I'm not a fan of microtransactions and will not support that kind of business set-up.
An example I can give of a recent game I would not touch like this would be Mortal Kombat X, while the last game I've played with DLC that I completely support is Hyrule Warriors. I say DLC in the way Hyrule Warriors was done is one of the best ways to do DLC in my opinion.

Customization: If a game has a creator within it, and a decent one where you can make your own character (and not an MMO game), chances are I will be really interested in checking the game out as soon as I can. I'm sure not many are too interested in custom characters as I am, but I always sees it as a way to get more into the story of the game. It feels as it's your game, your story, your world as you go into the game and play it as *insert name here* and not *Insert known protagonist* here after so long of doing so.

I'm sure there's more to it, but that's all my mind is telling me for now so I'll stop it here.

EDIT: As soon as I hit the post button I remembered one. Big one for me.

Music: The game needs to have really good music for me to even get into it or enjoy it long. Yes, I know I know... you can use your own music while you play a game if you like, but where's the enjoyment of that? Having to rely on your own music to enjoy the game makes the game not as enjoyable as it can be. It means the game has a flaw in itself which I can't agree with.
It's the same I would say as mods for a game. If I don't enjoy a game unless I need to install mods to enjoy the game, then I consider that game horrible and a waste of time. Not going to list the games I'm thinking of as this isn't a debate topic.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
What Draws You Toward A Game? - by Koh - 05-14-2015, 08:43 AM
RE: What Draws You Toward A Game? - by Gors - 05-14-2015, 11:46 AM
RE: What Draws You Toward A Game? - by Shade - 05-14-2015, 11:54 AM
RE: What Draws You Toward A Game? - by Omegajak - 05-14-2015, 01:38 PM
RE: What Draws You Toward A Game? - by Kriven - 05-14-2015, 07:12 PM
RE: What Draws You Toward A Game? - by Ayumi Shinto - 05-14-2015, 10:07 PM
RE: What Draws You Toward A Game? - by Koopaul - 05-15-2015, 02:06 AM
RE: What Draws You Toward A Game? - by TomGuycott - 05-15-2015, 04:45 AM
RE: What Draws You Toward A Game? - by Maxpphire - 05-18-2015, 04:41 AM
RE: What Draws You Toward A Game? - by Helmo - 05-18-2015, 09:22 PM