Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
why aren't game disks affected by scratches?
The data on a game disc is all of the game's resources, usually all stored in separate files, bits here and there and wherever, and some compiled code that brings it all together. Scratches might corrupt some textures, models, audio, or a bit of the code. However the game only reads that part of the disk when it needs to, so until then it won't come across the scratch. I'm not sure about this but I don't think resources are stored in the order they're needed or anything either, so at the start of the game it could well be reading some data at both the outer and inner edge of the disk.

With a movie DVD, pretty much all of the disk is taken up with video data. So if you watch the movie from start to finish, it's gonna eventually come across the part with the scratch and it'll freeze up.

If you played your Luigi's Mansion from start to finish, discovered every single bonus and secret, completely 100%'d the game with that scratched disk, then you might eventually see or hear something screwed up. Obviously, if you were really unlucky you could have scratched a bit of data needed for it to boot up, and it would just crash on startup. However it looks like whatever part of data is affected (if any is at all) is probably just something used in a part of the game you haven't played through with your scratched disk.

(05-09-2015, 11:08 PM)Kosheh Wrote: ..and do models even screw up when it comes to disc scratches? I'd assume some material just wouldn't...play.

It would depend what part of the model data the scratch corrupts. If it's the header or any other kind of stuff needed to load the model then it could crash the game, but if it's just vertex data then you'd get a messed up model.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by: Kitsu, Lexou Duck

Messages In This Thread
RE: why aren't game disks affected by scratches? - by puggsoy - 05-10-2015, 01:36 AM