Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Poll: Feel the "character" of games have gone down?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Strongly Agree
25.00%
2 25.00%
Agree
25.00%
2 25.00%
Neutral
12.50%
1 12.50%
Disagree
25.00%
2 25.00%
Strongly Disagree
12.50%
1 12.50%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Feel the "Character" of Games Have Gone Down?
(05-08-2015, 01:56 AM)Kriven Wrote:
(05-08-2015, 12:19 AM)BullockDS Wrote: I really don't think that indie games deserve a free pass on this though. Faux-retro for indie games has practically become what gritty brown-and-gray has become for mainstream games.

I don't know if this is directed at me or not because I mentioned Shovel Knight. Faux-retro is in right now, you're right, and that went a long way towards advising my opinion that large numbers of developers are using the same motifes. However, Shovel Knight is such a distinct character, which is why I mentioned him. But here's some other games from this generation and the one previous full of personality that I don't think fall into the faux-retro camp:

Armillo, Dillon, PushMo, A Kappa's Trail, Gunman Clive, Liberation Maiden, Lollipop Chainsaw, Catherine, Professor Layton, etc...

It was moreso the mention of indie games in Koh's OP that prompted my response. And it's not specifically Shovel Knight I take issue with; it's the fact that faux retro has become a popular easy-out for some indie devs; again, much like washed-out grittyness for mainstream games. (inb4 "but no budgets!" justifications)
Offending people is a necessary and healthy act... Every time you say something that's offensive to another person, you just caused a discussion. You just forced them to have to think. - Louis C.K.
Thanked by: E-Man

Messages In This Thread
RE: Feel the "Character" of Games Have Gone Down? - by BullockDS - 05-08-2015, 02:10 AM