[x]We're back! After a failure of the drives in our database server, all data has been restored from last night's backup. The last 24 hours or so of submissions will likely need to be re-made but everything else should be okay. Please let me now if you notice anything not working as it should though. Thanks! -Petie

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Scrub spriter learns to sprite.
I can still make out some small pixel bunches on there, so I'll comment on what I can, but, yeah, definitely avoid JPEGs. They are the devil.

The face looks OK, though it should be moved a few pixels to the left; as it is, it kinda looks like ET. The legs and one arm are way too straight to look natural, which is made worse by the shading that goes in a straight line over the whole thing. The hands also look kinda big, but that may be a cartoonish choice.

Also, we're not trying to be elitist; we just want you to make something yourself. What you've drawn there shows loads more effort than any fusion or recolor. We're not being snobs; it literally takes about a minute tops to recolor a sprite, even less thanks to Aseprite and Game Maker making it faster, and a fusion is just cutting and pasting.

Might be off topic, but was it really necessary to make a whole new thread? Just saying.

[EDIT]
Your old thread asked for help getting started, so here it is: learn to draw on paper first. I know that sounds unrelated, but trust me, drawing from scratch on the computer is harder. It'll be a lot easier if you sketch it and then trace over with pixels. Please don't misunderstand; you SHOULD NOT trace another sprite, because that won't learn ya nuthin'. Tracing over non-pixel art that's shrunken down will help you understand the shapes better.

Another thing you should try is making color blobs. This is where every piece of the body is a different solid color, no lines, no shading. You can more easily edit and "sculpt" the shapes until you get something you like, then work on the outlines. Best to combine the two and make color blobs over your sketch.
Thanked by: E-Man

Messages In This Thread
Scrub spriter learns to sprite. - by Minolose - 03-17-2015, 02:21 AM
RE: First ever sprite! (based on feedback from members!) - by Kelvin - 03-17-2015, 08:41 AM
RE: Scrub spriter learns to sprite. - by Gors - 03-18-2015, 08:00 AM
RE: Scrub spriter learns to sprite. - by Minolose - 03-18-2015, 07:24 PM
RE: Scrub spriter learns to sprite. - by DioShiba - 03-19-2015, 04:09 PM
RE: Scrub spriter learns to sprite. - by Joxon - 03-18-2015, 07:39 PM