Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Using "Free" Sprites in Commercial Games
(12-15-2014, 08:23 AM)BlueBlur97 Wrote: I agree with puggsoy. I dont have a problem with the sprites as long as it plays well. But from another perspective, making your own sprites would prove to be much better. You wont need to make unnecessary adjustments to your game due to a lack of resources and on top of that, your game will be original. You can also make the sprites and the art match the theme you wish, thereby making the game feel "complete" in a sense. I personally dont think you should go about making a game by yourself at all. You need to have some partners to help you with it. If you want you could ask for help here and see who's willing. Just ask for a recruit for a specific task(s) and post. I'm sure you'll find willing people especially since you're doing something too. Do you have anything we can see or?

I have a bit to show, give me some time and I'll show some examples of what I want this game to be. I can't promise to show everything, but I'll at least have something other than screencaps.

(12-15-2014, 03:01 PM)Kosheh Wrote:
(12-15-2014, 02:59 PM)ColdĀ Spike Wrote: I'm not making a huge game. This is my first real project, it's best not to be too ambitious here. So far I am happy with the sprites I have, they don't seem like placeholders.

WELL

If you're doing it as a "oh, this is my first, small game", then it's no big deal. you might even come back to it someday and spruce it up until you feel it meets your expectations.

but if your intention is to monetize off of it or something, then yeah, you'll want to create your own assets.

My intention is both, first game and monetize. Also, it's funny you mention the creative writing. I did have some ideas to inject a unique story in the game t hat talks about its world, even the reused assets. I've written plenty of stories before, I'm usually pretty good at writing subtle stuff. Even something like breaking the 4th wall can be done horribly if not planned well.
Loading... 2014 Game Industry == Cry
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Using "Free" Sprites in Commercial Games - by Cold Spike - 12-15-2014, 03:02 PM