Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Quirby's seemingly clever assortment of Pixels
Okay so your meta knight has a couple issues
and Im sorry to say that you should probably scrap it and start from scratch
I made a quick meta knight of my own and am going to try to give you a step by step, keep in mind that my process might not be the same as yours and that is ok
there will be a lot of typos cause I dont have a lot of time
[Image: hs3YfkI.png]
1. Okay so the first thing is that meta knight is a circle (or sphere technically whatever), so I started by just drawing a circle
following that, I overlaid metaknight's mask, which is also a circle, over that, and drew on the eyeholes
2. Following that, I added his shoulderplates, eyes, hands, feet, and part of his cape, and started plotting out where my lightsource was going to be, shading with basic colors and employing mild hushifting
3. here I had to make my first Artistic Decision, because I noticed that the white of meta's glove contrasted too much with the rest of the pallete, so I had to decide whether or not to darken the white or lighten the next shade, both choices work equally well the decision is totally personal, I decided to lighten the next shade of grey because I wanted a pure white in my palette.
4. Subsequently, I began working on the sword, drawing a crude shape where I wanted it to be, and figuring out vaguely where the light should be hitting it.
4.5. I decided the cape was going to clutter the image too much and removed the part of it that I had already made
5. Now that I had all of my shapes figured out, I began outlining them, and working out the sword as I did so
following the style of many kirby games, I used a lighter color to outline the sword because it is such a small accessory at the resolution that the sprite is set at. I also noticed that the shoulderplates where not the correct shape, and modified them, and altered the feet slightly.
6. I fully shaded the piece, heavily shading the metal features to convey texture, and lightly shading the softer features such as his feet, I also adjusted the colors slightly
7. I did some final touchups, and laid the piece to rest. I personally believe that no piece is ever truly finished, as everyone is constantly growing artistically, and there is always more that can be done, but I did not have much time left to write this post, and I was msotly satisfied with the work for now, so Im calling it finished.

I might edit this post a lot later as it was very rushed, but Im going to work now, I hope this helps!
[Image: Little_lamp_in_dark_room.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Quirby's seemingly clever assortment of Pixels - by Zadaben - 08-11-2014, 04:24 PM