Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
tikal the echidna sonic advance style
Oh man, it's been ages since I've seen a Sonic Advance sprite!

Anyway, your sprites are much improved from the ones in the corner, but your colors still lack contrast. As far as I remember, Sonic Advance sprites are pretty bright and crisp, but your hues don't really reflect that. Here, I'll show you.
[Image: 2mIB0Pl.png]

Top are Amy's fur hues, bottom are Tikal's. You seem to have some notion of hue shifting (incidental or otherwise; if you are unfamiliar with the term, please use our Spriting Dictionary), but it's evident that Amy's shades are much more distinct that Tikal's.

A sprite has good contrast when you can clearly tell the hues apart, which is not the case here.

Worse yet is your yellow:
[Image: LOmc1lb.png]
Comparing the first and third shades from Amy's and Tikal 's palettes, its evident that Amy's colors have better contrast. Not to mention, yours are not even hue shifted, just slightly darker.

Another thing is that you're cramming too much detail in small areas. It's almost impossible to tell what's going on in her torso because there's too many different colors in a small area. An important aspect of pixel art is clarity, and at this scale, you are only allowed so much detail. Some suggestions would be to not add try to draw the carvings on her tiara, and to limit her skirt to one, maybe two colors (Her pendant, too, is indiscernible.)

TL;DR : Make the shades of each color more different, remove detail per area

Any doubts or questions, feel free to ask. Welcome!
[Image: shrine.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: tikal the echidna sonic advance style - by Iocus - 05-16-2014, 01:39 PM