Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Depictions of Women in Gaming (and other related issues)
Okay I'm coming into this hella late but well... whatever,

(02-27-2014, 10:01 AM)Koopaul Wrote: Afterall we can all agree murder is wrong. What kind of sicko would find killing people fun!? But it isn't real. It's a fantasy. We have the right to enjoy shooting someone in the back of the head if it's just a fantasy. That is the prime motive of video games, to fulfill fantasies. These are the very fantasies of artists and creators who wish to share it with the world... and profit from it.

In that case games about rape should be fine. And well, I don't know - I'm not so comfortable about games about rape. And I'm not even talking about the infamous Rapeplay 3 (or whatever is was called) which was more of a "I don't really want to have sex with you, oh my god you touched my boob, take me now master!" - kind of game (new genre, go with it).

I mean yeah that's pretty sexist but well, that's kind of the point of the game. It's hard to de-credit a game which seeks none in the first place. My point is even "Just Fantasy" has to have a line somewhere. A game about raping children for example should never ever be allowed regardless of the creator's "right to create"

As for fighting games, they kind of go hand in hand with jiggly breasts. Hell DarkStalkers had a lot of flesh on show - it's just one of those things. The Japanese like boobs and female/male equality isn't so hot over there. To change that would be change a whole culture and that sounds like a whole other shibang of an issue.

But back to Darkstalkers - for that game it made sense. Felicia is a Cat person and thus - naked except fur. And Morrigan is a succubus so having her chest spilling out makes sense. I'm not saying that that's 100% morally ok. But it makes sense.

Back in the Soulcalibur 2 days Ivy caused my mother to raise an eyebrow and mutter stuff like "You can see teen boys are their audience" but I don't see Ivy's design as sexist. Yes, again, it's not morally right but (as Kriven has said) characters made specifically for 'fan-service' aren't really the issue. But at the same time Soulcalibur 4's Ivy is in the realms of 'I'm not comfortable having this on my TV' - there has to be a line where it's not so extreme to make you uncomfortable.

Talking about uncomfortable: the Witch from Dragon's Crown her design is just ridiculous. Now I'm not going to lie and say during Soulcalibur 2 I never watched Taki's breasts bounce - I'm a man, we like breasts - it's just one of those things. But Dragon's Crown is just stupid, it's embarrassing to have someone see you play if you have a Witch in your team.

I think that's all I have to say on the physical appearance of women in games.

Personally I'm not sure how important the fight against exposed flesh is. I'm not saying it's not lazy/bad of artist etc but I don't know if games of that nature (fighting games etc) are the issue. A lot of men in those are also topless for no good reason as well.

I mean look at Super Mario 3D World. The only playable female character (at the start) is a princess (so yes, it makes sense for her to polite and princess-y etc) but just listen to her. It's so awful. Every time my brother's wife comes round someone ends up being Peach, simply because no one wants to be her because it's so crinchy. Ok so if she is this 'useless' princess character - why is she even out on this adventure? Makes no sense.

I don't know why Tomb Raider gets so much flack. Lara was a good character (regardless of her sex). Yet the Mario games are basically 'Useless woman, Awesome men' and no one bats an eyelid. Yes they are kids games but when do you think people are most likely to learn?

I think something in all that made sense.
[Image: randomimage.cgi]
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Depictions of Women in Gaming (and other related issues) - by Goemar - 03-02-2014, 06:30 AM