Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Super Mario Eclipse
(12-07-2013, 01:56 PM)Kosheh Wrote: yeah, the ambient lighting is probably the most ridiculous thing i've seen yet in a mario game
(11-27-2013, 09:01 PM)Gors Wrote: Mario fangames has come to a point where all fangames have become stagnant. The gameplay is the same, the physics is the same, the graphics are the same. You are approaching Nintendo fidelity, but by that you are abandoning fan creativity in the key elements.

And you tend to compensate that lack of fan element by putting a terrible gimmick to hide the sterile fangame you have, with guns. With funky lights. With crap-tastic lightwork. This is not what makes a fun game. Really, grab your games and think "what in this game is actually FUN?". Is it the secrets? Is it the innovatve gameplay?

I mean, is it hard to rethink Mario's universe that much? Does it all need to be SMB3 sprited cookie-cutter games? Why not a new style, or new a new thing? (oh yeah, creating new things actually need effort)
actually, if there was a mario game that took out the classic power-ups and replaced them with completely new, interesting ones and had a lot of enemies that had to be defeated with these particular items, i think it'd still be gimmicky but still okay...?

Yes, because the new powerups were tailored to the game's design, aesthetic and applied in a cohesive manner. The Mario gun game I had talked prior was a poor example of powerup implementation, because why the hell would you shoot if you can only shoot horizontally (not any other angle), and that your stomp still deal mode damage than a shot? It only contibuted to make it horribly shallow.

It's not a problem if you actually put guns in a mario-like game, but if it actually has a decent use. FLUDD was gimmicky, but the whole game used it, and thus felt like part of the game.

Also, as I told him over another forum, this game is terrible in execution because its main selling point, its main gimmick, is hampered by the other ambient lightings. Because of it, I don't know what color the block is, and therefore it turns the light puzzle into a huge guesswork, killing its true potential.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
Super Mario Eclipse - by Hello - 11-26-2013, 09:38 PM
RE: Super Mario Eclipse - by Sengir - 11-26-2013, 10:21 PM
RE: Super Mario Eclipse - by Neweegee - 11-26-2013, 11:26 PM
RE: Super Mario Eclipse - by Gors - 11-27-2013, 05:52 AM
RE: Super Mario Eclipse - by E-Man - 11-27-2013, 08:50 AM
RE: Super Mario Eclipse - by Phaze - 11-27-2013, 01:07 PM
RE: Super Mario Eclipse - by Vipershark - 11-27-2013, 04:46 PM
RE: Super Mario Eclipse - by Gors - 11-27-2013, 09:01 PM
RE: Super Mario Eclipse - by Kosheh - 12-07-2013, 01:56 PM