Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
"A Really Retro Game" Early Development (Recruiting)
(11-18-2013, 10:51 AM)golbez22 Wrote: This project is still alive and running
was that 6 days later? LOL

i think you're kinda missing what Viper's telling you - things like a quest tracker and afterlife are going to be an absolute bitch to program if this is your first programming endeavor. any type of level design is like that - as a first exercise (maybe to enter a game development competition, brush up your skills etc) you'll want to start small, like a puzzle game. not shooting you down - just saying, this is like a first-
semester computer science student announcing that he's going to write a web browser by himself by the time he graduates with his undergrad.
your idea, while awesome, is about as large and grandeur as minecraft itself. and while that's awesome, it's going to be an absolute pain to program.

also given it's a retro game about pirates (haha ARRG i get it) you'll probably get different responses from me but with retro character styling, it might be a good idea to shoot for simplicity and design a character that's symmetrical - for example, think Link from any of the NES & SNES Zelda titles, or the protagonists from the first two generations of Pokémon. I know it's all about the character customization aspect, but, oh IDK,

try a jolly roger hat or bandana for weird, goofy piratism ;P
besides, you should probably scale back the player character's appearance as the surrounding environment is also simple in comparison Tongue

oh and one more thing

if it's a game about pirating can it be like a weird mashup with a goofy little pirate man with a GTA mentality (i need to get te south wharf! i need te put a saddle on this ere whale and ride me way over! all hail pixelbeard, no one rassles with the likes of he! [opens up chocolate coins and eats them])
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Thanked by: puggsoy, golbez22, Chase

Messages In This Thread
RE: "A Really Retro Game" Early Development (Recruiting) - by Kosheh - 11-22-2013, 03:40 PM