Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Do you think being nice is more important than talent?
(09-29-2013, 05:55 AM)Goemar Wrote: In regards to sprite work/art I think the point you're getting to here is this: 'talented' people sometimes come across as more critical because they have seen 'your' (not actually you just figuratively speaking) crap MegaMan edit a 1000 times before. They've seen your terrible first sprite. And well, it sucks. You shouldn't have even posted it. And then they tell you to change it and you do such a crappy minor job it's just annoying. Then you finally agree to restart (even though the reason why baffles you) and it looks just as crap.

New people to any art form tend to be blinded by their 'own' success of making anything that criticism and actual help seems to confuse the crap out of them and then all the people who are good at the subject and try to help just get frustrated.

Remember, practise a lot before you post anything. Do our research. Learn about shading, line art, form and all that BEFORE you post.

(Please note: the 'you' in this post isn't you, it's just for example purposes work).

Hm, I can see that happening. I won't talk about my own short comings related to that (mostly because they happened in the past and I don't want to talk about what I'm capable of in a topic like this), but I know several others who acted like that due to criticism. Take Plokman for example. The guy is very sweet, but he tends to get frustrated when you guys act "elitist" against him. I know you're trying to help him, but there are just some matters that you just can't sugar coat... Regardless, in addition to having new guys accept criticism a bit better, I would would also suggest the more established users to be a little more patent. I've known you have seen the same Sonic recolor one hundred times already, but what would people think if you snapped at that moment. Sure, the opinion of one "n00b" (for lack of a better word) might not matter too much, but if other people were around and the "n00b" tells others, then I fear that it'll lead to a sort of snowball effect you are better off avoiding. In short, I feel that self-improvement of this sort works both ways.

As for what I mean about why talent would be not as important as being nice, I was actually referring to how talented people are probably not nice on the inside. Sure, they pretend to be nice at first (much like "Koopaul" implied), and when they get a lot of admiration, they keep this mask on...... However, when someone starts to get into this guy's face for whatever reason (it doesn't matter if it's a justified reason or a pointless reason), then we see the true colors of this "nice" person. Even though I feel that being nice (as in genuinely nice) is more important than being talented when it comes to relationships, it almost seem like you can't have one without the other to form a solid friendship. In other words, you come for the talent, but stay for the pleasant chats.
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do you think being nice is more important than talent? - by E-Man - 09-29-2013, 09:42 AM