Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Puggsoy's Bunch of Applications
BastionPkgExtract is here!

This is a program I made to extract files from .pkg files used in Bastion, which contain images, and instructions about how they should be animated. There already is a program that does this, PkgUtil, but 1) you had to compile it yourself, and 2) it was a command-line program. My program is based off of PkgUtil though (I translated the decompression code from C# to AS3), so alisci01 has credit for that.
Anyway, BastionPkgExtract will extract .xnb images and any corresponding .atls files from .pkg files. .xnb is a format used by Bastion (and other games made in C#), and can be converted to .png using TheShyGuy's program, XnbToPng. The .atls files are a format I made myself (huehue Cool ), as opposed to the .xml files that PkgUtil creates. The reason I did this is because I'm personally more comfortable with writing and reading byte-level data than .xmls in AS3. While I admit that .xml files are easier for humans to read, there's no real need to read or edit them anyway. Plus, it was fun to make my own file format. If anybody wants to know how to read them, here's a .doc containing the format specification.

This is the first of two programs I'm making to help myself (and others, if they want) to rip sprites from Bastion. The other program, which I'm currently underway with, will take .pngs (converted from the .xnbs) and their corresponding .atls files, and organise the sheets so that they can be uploaded to tSR. I made a sort of alpha version a while ago that used PkgUtil's .xml files, and used that to make the sheets you can find on the site here.

TL;DR: It's a program that does stuff with Bastion files. If you don't care about that then you don't need it Tongue You can download it here, and on the first post (along with info/instruction and a screenshot).
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by: Garamonde

Messages In This Thread
Puggsoy's Bunch of Applications - by puggsoy - 10-18-2012, 06:00 AM
RE: Puggsoy's Bunch of Applications - by Mag - 10-18-2012, 06:46 AM
RE: Puggsoy's Bunch of Applications - by Phaze - 10-18-2012, 09:04 AM
RE: Puggsoy's Bunch of Applications - by Shade - 10-18-2012, 09:10 PM
RE: Puggsoy's Bunch of Applications - by puggsoy - 10-24-2012, 10:53 AM
RE: Puggsoy's Bunch of Applications - by puggsoy - 10-24-2012, 12:10 PM
RE: Puggsoy's Bunch of Applications - by Previous - 10-24-2012, 11:28 AM
RE: Puggsoy's Bunch of Applications - by puggsoy - 01-23-2013, 03:14 PM
RE: Puggsoy's Bunch of Applications - by puggsoy - 03-30-2013, 01:33 PM
RE: Puggsoy's Bunch of Applications - by puggsoy - 04-18-2013, 11:47 AM