Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Poll: How is it changing from your perspective?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Death to Consoles; Rise to PC Gaming.
8.33%
2 8.33%
Death to PC gaming; Rise to Consoles.
0%
0 0%
Death to Consoles, Rise of a Uniform Gaming Platform (EX: The Upcoming Steam thing).
12.50%
3 12.50%
Death of Corporate Gaming; Rise of Indie-Gaming
8.33%
2 8.33%
Mixed Balance.
29.17%
7 29.17%
Indecisive.
8.33%
2 8.33%
Who cares about the Market? Gimme the Games!
33.33%
8 33.33%
Total 24 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Your Perspective on the Gaming Market
Hard copies will lessen, I think. Buying games on Steam is way more convenient than having DVDs crowding your desk, not to mention the fact that you can install them on any PC with an internet connection. Now that Linux is in the scene too, this will be a big influence since you can't buy hard copies of Linux games (to my knowledge at least), and more commercial developers will probably make Linux ports now. A lot of games also sync their saves on the cloud so you can play a game from start to finish across multiple computers.

Of course, this will also cause consoles to become more cloud-based. They're already on their way, the Wii U has an array of games buyable online, the PS3 Network is sort of connected to Steam I think, and the 360 has had XBox Live for a while now. For the time being, most games (or significant games, anyway) are still only available on discs. Eventually though, I think consoles will become almost completely cloud-based, along with PC gaming.
I'm not sure about handhelds though. The 3DS has a huge array of online features, but I don't think it'd be a wise move to make it completely reliant on the web. Until an internet connection is constantly available on roads and everywhere a human can walk, handhelds will probably need cartridges (or discs) if people are to play them on the move (the entire point of handheld gaming).

In the end there will probably be a lot less hard copies of games, at least for computers and home consoles. I'm not saying they will die, I certainly hope they don't, partly because Steam games are tied to your account (and thus can't be shared with friends unless you share your account), and I'm guessing it'll be the same for any other online game purchasing systems. Plus it's just cool to have hard copies, being able to physically hold a game is unique.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by: Omegajak

Messages In This Thread
Your Perspective on the Gaming Market - by Koh - 02-05-2013, 09:05 AM
RE: Your Perspective on the Gaming Market - by puggsoy - 02-28-2013, 03:32 AM