Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
General Sprite Experimentation (previously colour experimentation)
[Image: PiOjnd0.png]
this is a screen of 2 enemies pathfinding to me, I'm using a path finder I wrote for another project but the project died so I've re-purposed it, with some minor fixes and optimizations in place.
Combat isn't done yet hence no game dev topic yet, but this post is sprite related,
so the exceptions in the tile edges are starting to urk me, the more I think about it the harder it will be to fix while multiple tiles are in place, so I've been thinking of a way to fix the problem while still maintaining the same vastness,
should I cut the map size but add map types, I will then generating doors into transitional maps such as cave systems or for the sake of it a magicky space (hell, heaven, crystal land, icecream-topia, whatever fits) which will have an exit into another kind of area,
this way I can dedicate certain tile pairs (and variations on such tiles) to a type of map and not have to make the transitions in between each and every set.
I was thinking each area has 3 tiles, Dry Land, Wet Land, Water, the Dry land will always transition into wet land and water will always transition from wet land (wet land won't need transitions) this means I can keep the transitions fairly simple, no multi-mixing problems.
by making the areas smaller too it wont take so long to find the transition areas.

this ultimately makes the game infinitely more expansive, cleaner and easier to dev for.

TL;DR?
I'll be changing the biomes into a per map thing,
each map biome will have 3 tiles, dry land, wet land, water. Dry land transitions into wet land and water transitions out of wetland, meaning less tiles needed.
with this change I'll be making the maps smaller but via mini worlds such as caves, you will be able to find other maps within the same world so you can still find new area types (and such new enemies and items) by exploring.
also I have enemy path finding working and I'm half way through the equipment / combat system.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: General Sprite Experimentation (previously colour experimentation) - by Bombshell93 - 02-14-2013, 04:07 PM