Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Ripped Star Fox SNES 3d Models (Yep)
@Friedslick6
So this is where you came from! Tongue
I was tired of studying and found this thread. I'll sum it up just in case one of you guys is interested.

1-Neither models nor sprites are encrypted in the SF ROM.
2-SF ROM is incredibly well programmed and optimised yet I believe encryption would have made the game harder to program and the SNES would not have handled it.
3-The ROM is mostly a kind of script that points to stuff that appear at certain moments and use certain color palettes, and also trigger centain events (like End Stage animation).
4-The stage scripts list the objects that appear, each object on that list has a Hex address and the color palette of the model to be used (VL-Tone managed to rip all the models by first listing them).
5-Color palettes are defined by a small lists of certain colors, in order to create more colors they use checkerboard patterns of the small list of colors. There are also palettes for day, night, space.
6-Colors are not defined as such and each polygon in each model has a parameter for its 3D Normal. Someone with knowledge of openGL and HEX (VL-Tone) can combine these correctly with the Hex color palettes. Notice that the model visualizer has no checkerboard pattern and as such is not really perfect SNES emulation but is exactly the effect that the SF programmers wanted (guess).
7-Checkerboard patterns appear on your screen as such, the pattern with it's color is rendered on screen in the portions that they are needed.
8-From what I understand the SNES SFX processes the 3D information and then it is drawn onto the cart itself which is slowly read by the SNES as layers which constitute the frames. Don't get me wrong SF is really in 3D, it just has to be programmed well enough for it to be read on non 3D capable equipment (research "tricks" used for Wolf3D and Doom and why Carmack is quite the programmer).

Essentially 3D models have no resolution, therefore the 3D models in SF cannot be "spritted".
My remake is not a remake since it's ilegal for me to rip the 3D models, music and stages from the ROM in any way and insert them into an application. I want to make a very specific ROM emulator that runs SNES Sar Fox in HD resolutions reading the models and all info directly from the ROM. And since 3D models have no resolution nor are they frame dependant it is very easy to make it 1080p 60 FPS. I want to make this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl...Kng8#t=26s

As the original thread says I have little experience in Hex so I am stuck. If you wich to help that would be great. Thanks! Big Grin
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ripped Star Fox SNES 3d Models (Yep) - by wat - 12-30-2012, 12:03 AM
RE: Ripped Star Fox SNES 3d Models (Yep) - by Ton - 01-02-2013, 10:49 PM
RE: Ripped Star Fox SNES 3d Models (Yep) - by dyson132 - 02-02-2013, 03:56 PM