Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
On Critiquing Vyrots
Hello, everyone! I'm looking to get some opinions and critiques on some of my pixel art. Here they are:

[Image: light_soldiers_by_woodledude-d5eqqab.png]
First off, the lightweights. Good for scouting, special operatives, and the like.

[Image: vyrot_soldiers_by_woodledude-d5e303o.png]
Then something with a little more weight. These guys are more front-line guys, taking hits and dealing damage.

[Image: vyrot_soldier_chip_amp_hull_by_woodledude-d5t3srt.png]
Let's take a closer look at out friend the Standard soldier (above, right). This might start to give you an idea as to exactly what these things are, though I'll cover that a bit more closely later.

[Image: vyrot_general_by_woodledude-d5dc37l.png]
And finally, I think this guy speaks for himself. He's the general of the Vyrot military (those guys abouve, as well as some others). I pulled from General Grievous a lot while designing him, while also mixing in a bit of Darth Vader for his personality.

Now, I'm sure you're wondering what these things are by now if you've bothered to read this far, so let's resolve that. These things are what I like to call Vyrots. The general idea behind the Vyrot was originally to be a physical representation of a computer virus, so the original designs started out as just geometry, as I was trying to pull from a sort of "evil nanobot" vibe. Triangles, squares, pentagons, and the like. I decided to lay off the higher side counts, and stick to shapes that were either four sides or under or an evident combination of such shapes. I felt they needed limbs, but I decided that connecting them to their body was too inefficient, as it was very limiting, I felt, so the disconnected limb structure you see here was used instead. The bichrome color scheme and flat, unshaded texture is partially an aesthetic choice and partially a result of my utter incompetence.

So now that we've cleared that up, I'll clarify what I want help with. All suggestions are welcome, of course, but what I want to do is to improve the design of the Vyrots, add more detail, figure out the internal structures and their supplementary external hardware, and figure out where to go from here. I've got some very vague ideas for a story for these guys, as far as their history and environment, but I'm not sure this is the right forum for that.

And with that, thank you for your time, and tell me what you think. If I haven't made an important detail clear, feel free to ask questions, and remember that his is all very much subject to change and a work in progress and all that, which is kind of why I'm here in the first place.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
On Critiquing Vyrots - by Woodledude - 02-01-2013, 03:40 AM
RE: On Critiquing Vyrots - by Novally - 02-01-2013, 04:17 AM
RE: On Critiquing Vyrots - by Bombshell93 - 02-01-2013, 04:59 AM
RE: On Critiquing Vyrots - by Previous - 02-01-2013, 05:05 AM
RE: On Critiquing Vyrots - by Novally - 02-04-2013, 12:18 AM
RE: On Critiquing Vyrots - by Xeroph - 02-04-2013, 01:25 AM
RE: On Critiquing Vyrots - by Gors - 02-04-2013, 04:32 AM
RE: On Critiquing Vyrots - by Koopaul - 02-04-2013, 04:42 AM
RE: On Critiquing Vyrots - by Woodledude - 02-04-2013, 07:20 PM
RE: On Critiquing Vyrots - by Xeroph - 02-04-2013, 07:27 PM