Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[Open Source] General 2D Level Editor || Any Interested?
(01-26-2013, 12:06 PM)TheShyGuy Wrote: Phaze, for the game you're making with Ridge, I don't think you'll even need a quadtree or much collision or rendering optimizations. Don't think about optimization until you really need it.

I know I won't need much of any optimization for an M&L type game especially on the PC, but the thing is that I do want to do this sort of thing to learn. I'm not just making this fangame to help a friend of mine, it's a learning experience in game dev as I'd like to get into doing indie games if I at all can. I've done a number of things in the past but nothing like a full-fledged game -- well, I do have the core systems of a card game made but that's on hold pending a rewrite and the finishing of AKT.

Another thing is that I intend to cannibalize a part of the engine for game projects of my own, as what I have in mind would use the overworld part of things and do away with the separate battle screen. I really don't like the prospect of rewriting more core parts of a game engine for what I have in mind than I'd need to.

I am aware of the issue of premature optimization (not to mention the problems it causes...) but I consider this more of a design choice than anything as I haven't even begun to write code yet. I don't want to start writing code without thinking and then need to sloppily rewrite half of it because I'm an idiot.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Open Source] General 2D Level Editor || Any Interested? - by Phaze - 01-28-2013, 06:44 AM