Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[Open Source] General 2D Level Editor || Any Interested?
(01-24-2013, 09:53 PM)TheShyGuy Wrote: Its like this:
-SNIP-

Thats why i started making this. I was a bit tired of making these game-specific tools too.
Funny, the tool I'm going to be making is general purpose and has a lot of features like your own, but it'll be based on individual parts/tiles assembled into their own frames. It will also have support for making separate 'transformation animations' that will be applied in a game implementing the formats. Stuff like rotation, skewing, color scaling.

It'll save to XML and will be able to export as GIF or a binary format I plan to use in Ridge's fangame. I still need to write up the draft for the binary format, though. I think it's best to wait until I have the program done first though, as it's likely I'll end up changing the XML spec partway.

Collisions aren't going to be a thing handled in the animator though, I plan to leave that in the engine in order to separate presentation from technical details.

About the level editor, it'll depend if your tool will easily support a top-down perspective, all sorts of fancy stuff on tiles/collision and either an explicit partitioning of area data (quadtree) or a quadtree friendly implementation that can easily be partitioned as such.

Being cross-platform is also a thing that is important for me, though I guess mono exists.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Open Source] General 2D Level Editor || Any Interested? - by Phaze - 01-25-2013, 01:14 AM