Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Let's talk about which is better for gaming: PC's or Consoles?
Thumbs Up 
(01-06-2013, 12:31 PM)puggsoy Wrote: Also your point about needing multiple consoles is invalid. Sure, you can't get all the games for one console, but this isn't true with the PC either, as Popo pointed out. If you wanted to play every single game, you'd need every console that ever existed and have a cutting-edge PC.

Yes, but allow me to sort of argue with myself for a second to point out something that the people who support PC gaming say to defend that:

Emulation.

In a way, emulation would prove my point invalid... That is if it wasn't for the following factors:

1.) Granted that you can play all the games on a PC through this, that would technically make it so that the PC is the best thing for gaming, but since most games would have to be ripped from their cartridge or discs, it would still take time to even get them all on your computer and even doing so would take up memory on your hard drive. That and you would have to wait for a good emulator to come out, and by the time that happens a new console will come out.

2.) Even if you could emulate anything up to the WiiU/PS3/360, you'd have to have the perfect PC in order to have it run perfectly. Not just some PC that is just "Cutting Edge" or great when it comes to technology, I'm talking about the technology that could make you're PC practically a borderline super computer. What I'm trying to say is that even a good PC isn't good enough to run all of this shit and chances are, you would have to get a desktop and probably upgrade the shit out of it. And I'm willing to bet it would be really hard to do this on a laptop. Even if you could do that for a laptop I would still have to point out you would need the knowledge to even add the right parts to your PC so you don't completely fuck it up, and that would keep a lot of people, let alone the mainstream away from it.

Hell it's even hard for me to emulate gamecube games on my laptop, and right now since my focus is college I don't have the time and money to even consider buying the parts to upgrade it.

3.) It's also technically illegal if you just download ROMs like crazy. I don't normally consider this a problem since there's a really low chance that the FBI would come knocking at my door for pirating games, but with that being said there's still that chance there. Unless you have the hardware and software to just back it up, which is also going to cost you, it would mean that you'd have to buy all the games you want to play and then you would have to figure out how to dump the ROM which would make it legal under fair use, since you're really just backing up you're ROMs for all the feds know. But even then that's a massive pain in the ass to do.

So in a way, emulation has it's flaws, which only adds on to the list of things on how many flaws the PC has to keep it from being the god tier of all platforms out there. Which only goes back to my point on how you can't play every game on the PC.

(01-06-2013, 12:31 PM)puggsoy Wrote: As for game libraries, for the most part the PC is sufficient for me. It has pretty much every genre of game, and games I've seen from consoles don't really have anything I want that I can't already get on the PC. I'm partial to indie games too, since they often have fresh and interesting ideas, and currently the only console that has started to support indie developers is the Wii U. And even then they have to be accepted, while with a PC you can play games that haven't been approved or accepted by any commercial company.

Of course ignoring that the 360 has had heavy support for indie developers for quite some time now. That's actually news to me and some how I'm glad to hear that nintendo is finally giving a shit about the indie scene.
Discord is Dioshiba#9513
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Outdated Games That Deserve Remakes? - by Koh - 01-06-2013, 11:39 AM
RE: Outdated Games That Deserve Remakes? - by DioShiba - 01-06-2013, 04:46 PM
RE: Outdated Games That Deserve Remakes? - by Koh - 01-06-2013, 06:40 PM