Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
A program which grabs files, throws them together and renames them
As you can see in my first reply here, it adds the directory structure to the file name (with underscores instead of directory markers \).

In fact, it works this way:

Your base folder (the one you want the files to be in, instead of in subfolders inside that one) is "C:\...\basefolder\", so the program collects files in there. Let's say we have a file "C:\...\basefolder\subfolder\file.bin". First, we cut away the base folder and get "subfolder\file.bin", then we replace every "\" with "_" to achieve "subfolder_file.bin", then we add the base folder at the front so we get "C:\...\basefolder\subfolder_file.bin". Finally, we move the file (it's somewhat like renaming it). Now, the file "file.bin" from the subfolder "subfolder" is named "subfolder_file.bin" and located within the base folder.
So unless you had, for example, a file named "subfolder_file.bin" within the base folder itself to begin with, everything should be fine.

I could add a check whether a file with the new name already exists in the base folder and then add a number to the end. However, unless someone could need that, I won't do the work! ;-)
Thanked by: Garamonde, puggsoy

Messages In This Thread
RE: A program which grabs files, throws them together and renames them - by Previous - 11-30-2012, 02:31 PM