Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
The "Gary's Sprite Style" Experiment
Okay, so, for a few months I've been trying to figure out my own sprite style, mainly so that I could create a webcomic which I could eventually release in print or something, or at least monetize (since I suck at regular drawing). I mean, I can't just use Mega Man sprites and edit them to do that. That, and I eventually want to create a game.

However, I came to realize that I suck at coming up with styles, or creating anything from scratch, so I decided to practice a little bit, see if I can come up with something, and use that sprite as a basis.

So what I'm going to do is post a sprite, try to get some comments on them, come with a new sprite, probably making tweaks to the style, take what people like, retroactively add these changes to my old sprites, and continue this process.

So for now, here's a sprite of Blossom from the Powerpuff Girls.

[Image: ppg_blossom.png]

It's not perfect at the moment. The main thing it lacks is shading. The thing is, I don't even know where the light source is coming from, or what works best. I think I should have come up with that when I started this one. I think I placed the light source directly above her due to the fact that I used selout that way, but I'm not sure, mainly because if that was the case the shading on her shirt is off.

Anyway, I was going to work on Blossom, but first of all, that would have been a bit counter-productive, as it's still the same type of character. That and whatever I do I can't get her face to appear right (although adding some shading did help a bit). So I decided to just sprite NicePeter. I haven't even started though, so you'll have to wait with that. I'm actually pretty excited to do this one.
Big sigs are for scrubs.
Thanked by: Garamonde, Virt, Phaze

Messages In This Thread
The "Gary's Sprite Style" Experiment - by GaryCXJk - 11-15-2012, 08:59 PM