Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
What was Nintendo's golden decade?
A bit of a tricky one but choosing Decade 2 has not only that it had the most games that Nintendo published/developed meaning that it was a balance of a large quantity but with quality output with also the Rare stuff sneaking in at their prime, also the fact that I grew up playing many of the games and that Nintendo pushed themselves with interesting ideas. Also they were back porting games that missed out first time around (SMA series) and remakes (the Game & Watch Gallery series, Gallery Advance personally an bit of a under the radar game). Second place is Decade 1 that even though it has less games than 2, many of the games are highly influential and are still playable today. While personally SMB1 and LOZ1 have been aged quite a bit plus the fact that SMB3 had that scrolling thing that bothered me a tiny little bit (still a great game though), I felt that Nintendo was getting the hang of making console games improving year by year. In fact some from that decade are some of my favourite games like Super Mario Land 2, Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out and Donkey Kong Country.

As for Decade 3, well I didn't play much of the games to make a proper judgement (out of that list it is pretty much Mario Kart DS, New Super Mario Bros., Mario & Luigi 2, Donkey Kong: Jungle Climber and Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2/Mini-Land Mayhem even though I do have Punch-Out!! Oh and Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour is in the wrong place), I feel well the quality/quantity isn't as high as the second decade or indeed for some games as imaginitive as the first 2 decades even though the Mario Galaxy games shows that Nintendo does have the spark still plus many of the games currently are genres that I don't really like or not into. While it is true that Decades 1 and 2 did have a fair amount of RPGs (2 even more due to the Pokemon/Paper Mario/localised "Advance Wars"/localised Fire Emblem series), there was also some games from other genres that I liked to balance it out plus with the GBA ports but on Decade 3 there was more focus on Zelda/Pokemon/Professor Layton games, DS programs and the Wii(blank) series. It's perfectly fine if you are a Zelda/Pokemon/Professor Layton fan since you get some good games out of it however if you aren't into them series its a bit harder. Nintendo are still focused on the platformers (Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Wario Land, NSMB series, Donkey Kong Country Returns) but they weren't I feel as popular as there once were, racing games however was just more or less Mario Kart [the ones up to and including DS I like but from the sounds of the Wii version...] with a couple of Excite games for good measure (the lack of decent racing games was also the reason why I have a PS3, still getting some selected Wii games so I can play on them for the Wii U though). It's a bit of a funny one is this one that's for sure.

No love from pre-Decade 1 games? (Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Mario Bros., Punch-Out & Super Punch-Out arcade, Game & Watch games or if you want to go really far back Sheriff and the original Wild Gunman)
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: What was Nintendo's golden decade? - by Gwen - 10-31-2012, 08:39 AM
RE: What was Nintendo's golden decade? - by Ton - 10-31-2012, 02:38 PM
RE: What was Nintendo's golden decade? - by Gaia - 10-31-2012, 03:17 PM
RE: What was Nintendo's golden decade? - by Yawackhary - 10-31-2012, 04:43 PM
RE: What was Nintendo's golden decade? - by Gors - 11-01-2012, 05:07 AM
RE: What was Nintendo's golden decade? - by Helmo - 11-01-2012, 02:23 PM
RE: What was Nintendo's golden decade? - by Helmo - 11-01-2012, 03:29 PM
RE: What was Nintendo's golden decade? - by Helmo - 11-01-2012, 08:05 PM
RE: What was Nintendo's golden decade? - by Marth - 11-01-2012, 07:21 PM
RE: What was Nintendo's golden decade? - by Marth - 11-02-2012, 12:54 PM