Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Poll: How do you feel about these kinds of games?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I like these the most; they force the player to explore the world.
20.00%
2 20.00%
They're pretty good. The exploration factor is definitely nice.
30.00%
3 30.00%
Okay. I don't mind exploring the world.
20.00%
2 20.00%
Not very good...I get way too lost and can't find my way.
30.00%
3 30.00%
Super ridiculous! Where the hell am I supposed to go!?
0%
0 0%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Games That Just Dump You in the World.
(09-09-2012, 05:06 PM)Koh Wrote: It was the wording you had, not because I wanted you to agree with me. You said "so that by the end when I'm more familiar with the terrain, it's more explorable." This doesn't make sense. Once you go through the area, you have already "explored it." There's no more exploration to be had, other than to look behind the rock you couldn't get to before, for example.

This strongly depends on the game. Most games I know of that guide you through only do so when necessary, they rarely make you do everything possible in that area. Hell, they rarely guide you through every area.
Not having a good amount of extras or surprises for the player to discover is just bad game design. And often "that rock you couldn't get to before" can be something like "that hole in the ground you couldn't get to before which leads to a whole now area you can explore".
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by: Kriven, Gaia

Messages In This Thread
Games That Just Dump You in the World. - by Koh - 09-09-2012, 07:18 AM
RE: Games That Just Dump You in the World. - by puggsoy - 09-09-2012, 05:13 PM