Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Something that came to me regarding what is considered literature?
(08-18-2012, 04:43 PM)Phantom K Wrote:
(08-18-2012, 04:33 PM)Chris2Balls [:B] Wrote: I don't think you can consider videogames as literature, because it isn't written.
It's visual. So it could be visual art, but not literature.

What about text based adventure games???

Yeah! Come on, text-based games have to count, right?

Personally, I think it is detrimental to consider one medium, such as film or games, to be the same as another medium, such as literature. Each has their own strengths/weaknesses and capabilities/impossibilities, and need to be explored as their own form of expression. I think what you are really asking here is whether or not movies or video games cannot be considered ART along with literature.

The most important thing to remember is that the industry which creates these games and all the money put into it very heavily influences the resulting products. Would you consider the "Twilight" series art? Would you consider the "Call of Duty" series art? What about "The Great Gatsby" or "Zelda: Windwaker"? It really comes down to your opinion, but as far as I am concerned, very few games (even my favorites) have come anywhere near the depth of experience needed for something to be considered true art. The majority of the movie and gaming industries are particularly exclusive, very over-funded, and particularly profit-oriented.

This is one reason the indie-game scene is so popular, and while indie producers have created some massive hits we unfortunately have yet to see any with comparable funding to the pioneering, creative, and adventurous projects that the "Industry" put out in the early years of console gaming (though on this note I am excited about the next game by Jonathan Blow who created Braid -- his next project looks quite different).

However you wish to consider your medium of entertainment is up to you, but my advice would be to use discretion with your purchases and the kind of ideas or creative directions you thereby support. If anyone's diggin' what I'm putting down, here's a speech regarding a similar discussion by Charlie Kaufman, the screenwriter who created films such as "Adaptation" and "Being John Malkovich." I highly recommend having at least a quick listen.

EDIT: One last, important thought: I think it is prudent to remember that video games are still very much in their infancy.
[Image: abstract6.jpg]
Thanked by: Chris2Balls [:B]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Something that came to me regarding what is considered literature? - by Chameleon - 08-18-2012, 09:38 PM