Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Super Smash Bros. Clash
(06-26-2012, 01:29 PM)Makermatic21 Wrote: What's up Rosencrantz? Okay your next:

Where to begin? First I'd like to thank you for your words of encouragement. So far you were the first person to step up and actually try to help and offer advice for my work; instead of just telling me I suck and offering no valid reasoning. Thank you.

Um you are right. It's been very difficult for me to put this into a script form. I had to do many writes and rewrites before finding a decent flow. At one time I had 5 journals of the same story written several different ways. It's been close to 12 years before I even decided to put my work on the internet; you guys being my first choice because I just love this site! You guys are the first to see my work from various journals now converted into a single piece of work. Hoo-ray for you!!! Tongue

I agree with you about being original. I just didn't think my original works were good enough yet to share and so I wanted something already established to share first to see how it goes over. Though not as good as I had hoped; I still will share with you all my original pieces of work since you all seem to want to see them so badly.

Okay as far as being too serious. I tend to be very serious about things I'm passoniate about. Like I said I love Nintendo's characters and want to do them right. It's very important to me. They've helped make me who I am today in many ways and have brought countless years of entertainment and perhaps even knowledge. As a gamer I feel I owe those characters; at least their creators, whom we can never truly pay back. But hey at least we can try by writing crappy fanfictions about them and posting it all over tsr Right? lol. Big Grin Anyway even though I take this stuff seriously it's only because of passion; and because while there are a million of these types stories they are all comedies and meant to be stupid. I love comedy as much as the next guy, but can't we have at least one or two serious, well-thought out, well planned, intelligent, decent stories? That's where I come in. Same with flash movies. Great animation. Sucky plots. Why can't you have both elements with a few comedic moments to keep things light-hearted? Maybe I should inject more humor, I dunno. Sorry I rambled... Unimpressed

It's no problem, I'm not usually an abrasive guy~

Anyhoo, I would recommend you try your best to avoid doing script style in the future unless you're truly and honestly comfortable with it. For starters, unless you're a playwright or something, it isn't a very viable form of literature as it usually can't portray action scenes as well as a normal paragraph-based story could. Stuff like Shakespeare's works are viable since there is usually very little consistent action in between dialogue (and usually the action are not important in a literary perspective; that's why a massive swordfight is condensed into a single sentence or two: they're included purely to spark interest in Shakespeare's plays and hardly mean anything to the themes presented by the characters). This is a Nintendo fanfic, with plenty of imaginable action and shenanigans in general. Script style can't cover all of that.

Believe me about the originals thing; people here are more likely to give you constructive criticism on a story that could be salvaged. Fanfics are seen in a poor light by most people (especially here), so they're more likely to tell you that it sucks and that you should never ever do a fanfic. You show off an original story instead, and then they'll pick things apart and help you properly characterize your characters, help you properly develop scenery and themes, and help you develop a better-flowing story structure. At the very least, you'd be showing off all of your story-writing abilities and people will be willing to point out what you'd need more working with, as opposed to just sticking to a fanfic where you can't show off much aside from being able to set up a scenery. As a parallel to what happens in the main spriting sections of the forum, we usually can't offer critique to people who just recolor or edit sprites (as they are piss-poor indicators of someone's capability to draw things). Fanfics are essentially the same as those recolors and edits.

And it's great that you want to show support for a company that helped shape who you are, and I love it when someone likes to try and deviate from norms and think outside the box, but trying to pass a fanfic off as a serious work tends to spell out bad things since, again, people wouldn't take it as seriously as you do. You could write the best damn story in the world; if it involves someone like Mario or Sonic or Pikachu or anything of that sort, people aren't going to take it seriously purely because of the inclusion of characters that would turn it into a fanfiction.

:F
HAVE I BEEN MISLEAD?? [Image: TeamStory.gif] THE DREAM ISN'T DEAD???

Messages In This Thread
Super Smash Bros. Clash - by Makermatic21 - 05-29-2012, 11:40 AM
RE: Super Smash Bros. Story-Prologue: The Adventure Begins - by Rosencrantz - 06-26-2012, 09:49 PM
RE: Super Smash Bros. Clash - by Makermatic21 - 09-28-2012, 12:14 PM
RE: Super Smash Bros. Clash - by Previous - 09-28-2012, 01:38 PM
RE: Super Smash Bros. Clash - by Cobalt Blue - 10-01-2012, 09:02 PM
RE: Super Smash Bros. Clash - by Marth - 10-01-2012, 10:32 PM
RE: Super Smash Bros. Clash - by Makermatic21 - 10-03-2012, 01:20 PM
RE: Super Smash Bros. Clash - by Garamonde - 10-03-2012, 01:52 PM
RE: Super Smash Bros. Clash - by DioShiba - 10-03-2012, 02:33 PM
RE: Super Smash Bros. Clash - by Garamonde - 10-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Just a reminder... - by Makermatic21 - 09-28-2012, 12:27 PM
RE: Just a reminder... - by Previous - 09-28-2012, 01:19 PM
RE: Just a reminder... - by Makermatic21 - 09-28-2012, 01:26 PM