Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
So... how legal is this?
Recently I showed tSR to one of my friends, and but he wasn't sure if the whole thing was legal. That is, ripping sprites and uploading the sprite sheets.

Now, personally I've always seen this is a generally law-abiding site. I remember reading somewhere that the reason that you can't submit music from games is that you can buy soundtracks (so distributing ripped music would be piracy), whereas the game companies never release their sound effects. I'm assuming that the same counts for sprites, models, and textures.

So basically I'm just wondering how legal ripping all this stuff is. I mean, I don't see too much wrong with it, but you have to admit that hacking a game ROM, decrypting files and extracting sprites, then uploading them onto the internet for the whole world to see and use, all without explicit permission from the game publishers, does seem a bit dodgy.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
So... how legal is this? - by puggsoy - 06-06-2012, 08:52 AM
RE: So... how legal is this? - by Dazz - 06-06-2012, 09:18 AM
RE: So... how legal is this? - by ~Axis~ - 06-06-2012, 09:28 AM
RE: So... how legal is this? - by puggsoy - 06-06-2012, 10:20 AM
RE: So... how legal is this? - by Dazz - 06-06-2012, 10:24 AM