Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
METAL GEAR SOLID ABSOLUTE CHARACTER MODEL PACK
(08-09-2011, 11:45 AM)Friedslick6 Wrote: Have you seen this thread on Facepunch?
That was the official release of the package mentioned in this thread. The rest of FRANKASTER's work was being done in this thread, and inspired two people to do the same, with one person making a dedicated website (which is currently empty.)

I may as well tell you all about the different methods of obtaining models from games of the Metal Gear Solid series:
  • For obtaining textures from the PC version of MGSI, you can use Unmass to extract them from the archives within the game. Perfect black usually signifies transparency for these textures. The game's archives are easily accessible by renaming the .mgz files extensions to .zip and opening accordingly. Sound effects and such are found raw within the archives. Also, neko68k was working on a model exporter for the game.
  • For obtaining models from MGSTTS, through Dolphin you can merge the capture data of 3DVia Printscreen (results in unposed, UV-less models) and 3D Ripper DX (results in posed, textured and UV'd models) to create a perfect model capture. Also, Solidus can extract textures from this game's archives.
  • For obtaining models from the PC and PS2 versions of MGS2, you can use Solidus to convert UV'd models and textures within the game's archives. These models come without bones, however.
  • For obtaining models from MGS3, you will need to experiment with various model capture programs (such as the ones mentioned in the Game Specific Model Ripping guides topic under TSR's Model Discussion sub-forum) through PCSX2 using their corresponding plugins. The models are without bones/UVs and usually distorted, though. When capturing textures from PCSX2 using 3D Ripper DX, the R and B colour values of the captured texture must sometimes be swapped (like this method I posted) to produce correct colouring.
  • For obtaining models from MGS4, chroxx was working on a model import plugin for 3D Studio Max.
  • For obtaining models from MGS PSP games, you can use drakon's psplamb plugin on a real PSP to capture them with UVs. For textures, you can run the PSP game through JCPSP and use the texture debugger to gain access to and copy the game's textures from memory.
...I hope some of these methods serve of use to you if you find no other resources. Good luck to your team's project.

hi Friedslick6 i would ask u if solidus really works with the ps2 version of MGS 2 , because i tried long time ago with no result. Actually the site with solidus tool is down. I have the special disk of mgs2 in which are present all the 3d charaters , an internal viewer and some versions of metal s snake not used in the game...i tried with 3d ripper and 3dvia but with no results. The main problem i s the .dat files in the ps2 version seem to be encripted. Do u have any idea?
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: METAL GEAR SOLID ABSOLUTE CHARACTER MODEL PACK - by Orwell - 10-28-2011, 09:46 AM