Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
MM styled Mario and Luigi
(09-08-2011, 02:43 PM)Gors Wrote: there is no such thing as 30% recolor, or it is or it isn't. And in this case it is a recolor teamed up with bad editings which lead to horrid sprites.

I thought that Megaman edits were dead long time ago but guess I was wrong.

They're not dead... Just most of the people making them are smart enough not to bring them here. I still see plenty of them elsewhere.

Now for advice to the OP.

First, Congrats. You've managed to stay with the color count limitations of a Megaman 8-bit style. You're about one color too many from the average so I'd definitly change that yellow to white. Yes technically there is precendent for a three layer 8-bit in megaman, but those are pretty few, and most are two layers. If you can switch out that brown for a another color already on it. That would be even BETTER. Anyways I can't bother checking right now, but I think only the brown may be a non-NES shade. I'm still pretty sure all of those colors have something close that the NES can handle if it can't as is. So let's worry about making the sprite better instead of worrying about exact color hues and stuff.

ANYWAYS. I think the biggest problem with these sprites left unaddressed by others is the overall readability. If these were a less iconic character the current readability would probably leave people guessing as to who these two exactly are.

For one the face, or rather the head in general is rather cluttered. The 'stache is far too high up and nearly obscures the eyes. Megaman 8-bit style usually has large expressive eyes, so they should be pretty clear. The hat is readable, but I think it could use a bit of redefining to make it a Mario bros. hat rather than a ball cap. On some of the poses, the shoes ride up too high. The Mario brothers have shoes so they should show more pant leg than megaman. Except on the standing frames where it would become unreadable.
It's okay to lose some accuracy if you need to make it more readable.

Its a shame that using megaman's poses loses a lot of the Mario brother's personality when jumping. I'd like to see that personality return. Ever notice how the mario brothers jump pretty much in an uppercut? Well thats not a style thing. Well its a style thing, but its a character style thing rather than a spriting style thing. Long story short, I think Mario and Luigi would still jump with one fist in the air, even in megaman 8-bit style.

Another thing to consider: Mario's heavier set than Megaman. There's room in 8-bit to show that, so you could make it even MORE like Mario if you made him gain a few pounds. Luigi's taller so he could use a minor growth spurt.

Now I'm not going to say 8-bit megaman is easy. But its a quick style so you really should attempt making it from scratch, as you can make TONS of fixes in a short amount of time, as you get advice to make things easier.
However if you simply MUST use a crutch base sprite, don't choose on based on how many frames it has, but how close it is to the correct body type of the subject. Bubble man, Bomb man and Dr. Light are all closer to Mario than Megaman is. Those three can also be used for references on how to make a heavier set character like Mario should you choose to scratch it

[edit] I miscounted the pallete and need to adjust advice accordingly.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
MM styled Mario and Luigi - by marcos-zx - 09-08-2011, 01:53 PM
RE: MM styled Mario and Luigi - by Skink - 09-08-2011, 02:06 PM
RE: MM styled Mario and Luigi - by marcos-zx - 09-08-2011, 02:15 PM
RE: MM styled Mario and Luigi - by Gors - 09-08-2011, 02:43 PM
RE: MM styled Mario and Luigi - by Terminal Devastation - 09-08-2011, 03:55 PM
RE: MM styled Mario and Luigi - by Cobalt Blue - 09-08-2011, 08:08 PM
RE: MM styled Mario and Luigi - by Cobalt Blue - 09-09-2011, 06:23 PM
RE: MM styled Mario and Luigi - by Shawn - 09-10-2011, 12:06 AM
RE: MM styled Mario and Luigi - by Cobalt Blue - 09-10-2011, 10:25 AM
RE: MM styled Mario and Luigi - by Devicho - 09-10-2011, 12:12 AM