Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Help with a team?
(07-03-2011, 03:14 PM)Dr. Ripper Roo Wrote: I think too many of your pokemon know protect. Not that it can come in handy at times, but there are more helpful moves out there.

Like my Bisharp, I taught it Brick Break, Night Slash, Torment and Pscho Cut (from an egg) and that has come in so much more useful than most other movesets for Bisharp.

Also, none of your pokemon are really much good at defending. Sure, Jellicent has a bit of Sp Def., but you dont have any forms of walls. If I were to replace any Pokemon in your team with a wall, I'd get rid of Whimsicott.
Quote:- Encore
- Safeguard
- Protect
- Grass Knot

There is only one Offensive move there, Grass Knot. And if your opponent has a lightweight Flying type or whatever, Whimsicott is useless. Encore, also, isn't that good in competitive battles, as you'll probably end up going against someone that is all-out, no holds barred, in which case Whimsicott wont be able to last very long. Safeguard is practically useless, and Protect has the whole 'increased chances of failing if used in succession'. Cotton Guard, Hurricane, Energy Ball, Beat Up. That is what I'd go with

You have some pretty horrible suggestions : X

Protect is used to help save yourself as well scout out what your opponent can do. It helps avoid moves like Surf, Earthquake, Water Spout, Discharge, Heat Wave, all that fun stuff.

Your Bisharp set is already bad because you're not using Sucker Punch. Bisharp has base 70 Speed. Anything Bisharp out speeds isn't going to be invested. Which means literally everything with speed investment already out runs Bisharp. He should run Sucker Punch/Brick Break/Stone Edge (Or Iron Head)/Filler (probably Protect).

You don't need to wall in VGC. Like, ever. In doubles you don't wall, the best defensive plays come from making smart switches or moves. It's a highly offensive and speedy metagame, any attempt to wall is going to end up with you being entirely destroyed by combinations like Beat Up Whimsicott + Rock Slide Terrakion.

Whimsicott shouldn't really be running attacking moves other than Beat Up anyways. Suggesting Hurricane, Energy Ball, Cotton Guard and Beat Up isn't very good. Hurricane has 70% accuracy outside Rain and is coming off of a mediocre Special Attack stat. Energy Ball is coming off of a mediocre Special Attack stat. Whimsicott is best used taking advantage of it's support movepool in Safeguard/Tail Wind/Encore/Taunt/Beat Up. Encore is also highly useful for getting opponents stuck on moves like Protect, Quick Guard, Wide Guard, Tail Wind, Trick Room, Helping Hand, Rage Powder, Follow Me, and a bunch of other common support moves used in doubles. It's far from "useless" or "bad".

Here's some more suggestions for your team, Rhymey:
Quote:Volcarona (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Protect
- Heat Wave
- Rage Powder
- Bug Buzz

Whimsicott (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 Hp / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Taunt / Protect
- Encore
- Safeguard / Stun Spore / Tail Wind
- Beat Up

A suggestion for you Whimsicott. If you don't want to forgo Safeguard for anything else, consider using Protect over Taunt or Encore. Priority Taunt is huge since it can stop Spore and Trick Room as well as any other supporting Pokemon's move. However, Encore is also useful. The downside to Encore is that a turn must have gone by for you to use it. If you intend on using Encore, use Protect over Taunt. Beat Up is suggested to better abuse Terrakion, and Tail Wind can help if you're afraid of him being outrun by something.

Since you shouldn't really be running any special attacks because of Whimsicott's otherwise mediocre stats, I moved all the Special Attack evs to HP so it can better withstand moves like Fake Out and such.

Bisharp (M) @ Dark Gem / Focus Sash
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head / Metal Burst
- Stone Edge
- Protect

Bisharp isn't out running anyone. Base 70 Speed is pathetic, anyone he outruns does not invest in speed to begin with. It's better placed in HP to sponge more attacks and abuse Trick Room. Metal Burst with a Focus Sash are also suggested if you plan on taking advantage of his Fighting weakness.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf / Life Orb / Chople Berry / Lum berry
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Protect [Stone Edge?]
- Quick Guard [Sacred Sword?]
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat

You don't really need to change anything on Terrakion other than the last slot (imo). Assuming Whimsicott and Terrakion are being used together second, I don't think you'd need to worry about Spore much. Quick Guard is pretty great in tandem with Whimsicott.

Nothing really needs to be changed at all, it's pretty great. Just some item ideas, really. Terrakion is pretty damn fast. I think the only noteworthy Pokemon that outruns him is Zebstrika, Cinnichino, and Scolipede. Lum Berry can give you more protection against some Pokemon late in the game that use status moves. Life Orb is for more power if you feel like you need it. Chople Berry (as you originally had) is still a great suggestion, I just don't know who he is supposed to be afraid of that you would need to run it.

Musharna (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Telepathy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room
- Helping Hand

This guy feels like the weak link. You should replace him with with Reinculus or Tornadus.

Jellicent (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Water Spout
- Scald / Surf
- Protect

Whimsicott and Terrakion are great, but it feels like the rest of your team doesn't work as well together as those two do (at least on paper). You should play around with the slots for Musharna and Bisharp. Otherwise, this looks pretty fantastic.

Good luck preparing for the vgc.
[Image: 2003-02-20.gif]
Thanked by: Rhyme

Messages In This Thread
Help with a team? - by Rhyme - 05-14-2011, 11:11 PM
RE: Help with a team? - by Zac - 05-14-2011, 11:50 PM
RE: Help with a team? - by Joseph Styling - 05-15-2011, 12:17 AM
RE: Help with a team? - by Rhyme - 05-15-2011, 12:24 AM
RE: Help with a team? - by Locked Achievement - 05-15-2011, 02:33 AM
RE: Help with a team? - by Teddy The Elite - 05-16-2011, 07:50 AM
RE: Help with a team? - by Rhyme - 05-16-2011, 07:27 PM
RE: Help with a team? - by Joseph Styling - 05-16-2011, 11:29 PM