Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[GAME][FINISHED (but still worked on)] Final Columbus
Quote:Just a little somethin' I whipped up quickly (about half an hour).
You call that quickly??? Half an hour is about the time I spend on making a complete spritesheet for a character. (Then again it seems like my graphics suck)

Time is sort of a big priority for me, as I don't have much free time. I'm pretty OK with decent graphics if they take a reasonable amount of time to make over awesome graphics that takes hours to make, and in general I prefer quantity over quality. I'm pretty into game design, and most average players doesn't spend tons of time looking at the graphics because they're pretty, they're giving them a glance to see if they're interactable or scenery. The graphics in the first few levels or so needs to be extra pretty to hook the player, but once the player grows used to the game one can drop that level a bit without them noticing. One of the reasons you should never make the first level early in development (since later graphics tend to be prettier when you've grown into the style used).

Hue shifting? *Googles* Aha. Thanks for mentioning that! One of those useful techniques I've never heard about before.

Noted on the black/white.

I'm using Game Maker 8.0's built-in Sprite Editor to edit sprites. Kind of like MS Paint but with alpha transparency support, and it's pretty good for 16x16-style images. But I've recently stumbled upon Paint.NET, which kinda blew my mind, so I might be switching in the future...

By the way, that red shade comes from the background of the screenshot I copied the character sprite from, I were at a computer without access to the game files. It's not part of the sprite and I missed it when erasing the unrelated stuff.

By another way, that green gun is shooting out oil. That's what the gray-blue parts near the muzzle are supposed to be... perhaps with too low contrast though.

Finally... Keep in mind that where I come from, I'm competing with this. Wink
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: [GAME][FINISHED (but still worked on)] Final Columbus - by Yal - 05-18-2011, 06:05 AM