Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[MATH] Method to reduce both sides of an equation?
OK fine, no more beating around the bush. So, here's the real deal:

I'll simplify the variables.

a: The set of all weapon ATK power. {2,...,99}
b: The set of all DF defensive values. {4,...,120}
X: The damage dealt calculated by A - B
K: The max HP of the item

After various tests, I came up with the relationship between A, B and X being something along the lines of

X= 3a/2 - b/3

If X=K, in other words if the damage dealt is equal to the max HP, the target is dead in one hit. I want to limit K to 50 (or lower, but for sure no higher than 50), which means I want X to never be greater than 50.

50=3a/2-b/3

Using the set values I listed above, which I made up off the top of my head but are indicative of what I'm working with, the above equation can thus be rendered as

50= 1.5*99 - 120/3

Obviously 50 != 108.5, so some sort of modifying operation Z is required.

Z(X)=Z(3a/2 - b/3)

Easy enough. But here's the other issue: I want the following change as well:

X=A-B; where A=3a/2 and B=b/3 and A>0 and B>0

In other words,
A={1,...,m}
B={1,...,n}
X={1,...,50}
Note that in all 3 sets the minimum does not have to be 1, but must be at least 1.

Furthermore, the function of Z in Z(X)=Z(3a/2 - b/3) needs to further match the following criteria:

Z(X)=Z(3a/2) - Z(b/3)
or
Z(X)=P(3a/2) - Q(b/3); where P and Q are operations distinct from Z that will still yield Z(3a/2 - b/3) = P(3a/2) - Q(b/3)

In other words, A will be the set of all values of a multiplied by 1.5 and ran through the modifying function; while B will be the set of b divided by 3 and ran through the modifying function, so that in the end only two numbers will exist yielding a simple subtraction problem. In other words, I want to take the multiplication out of the original equation x=3a/2-b/3. Values will be rounded, so don't fret over decimal places.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: [MATH] Method to reduce both sides of an equation? - by TheouAegis - 01-22-2011, 10:49 AM