[x]We're back! After a failure of the drives in our database server, all data has been restored from last night's backup. The last 24 hours or so of submissions will likely need to be re-made but everything else should be okay. Please let me now if you notice anything not working as it should though. Thanks! -Petie

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[MATH] Method to reduce both sides of an equation?
I was tired when I posted that.
I think I came up with a workaround, which is fine and all. Even if I explained more clearly, you'd probably still be confused. But yes, it was X=3b/2 - d/3; and I wanted to modify the result of X so that modified 3b/2>1 and modified d/3>1. .... As you can see, it's hard to explain an dmake clearly. B and D are two sets, for example b={2,3,3,5,6,8,13,25,50}, so 3b/2=3 in the first item. If the first item in {d} was 3, then X=2; but I want, for example, X=1 in that case, which would be something like X/2=3b/4 - d/6. While 3b/4>1, d/6<1 in that case and wouldn't work for me. To make it more complicated, let's say b=80 and d=30, then X=110 (120-10); but I want X<50 in that situation, keeping in mind that the change to X, 3b/2, and d/3 in that situation must still be legal for all other sets of b and d as specified earlier. Sick

Yeah it's confusing and I went with an alternative that isn't exactly what I wanted but it's workable at least for the time being. But feel free to keep wrapping your brains around it, because I'd be happy to hear any alternatives. There IS a logic to it, I just can't explain it.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: [MATH] Method to reduce both sides of an equation? - by TheouAegis - 01-16-2011, 07:10 PM