[x]We're back! After a failure of the drives in our database server, all data has been restored from last night's backup. The last 24 hours or so of submissions will likely need to be re-made but everything else should be okay. Please let me now if you notice anything not working as it should though. Thanks! -Petie

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[MATH] Method to reduce both sides of an equation?
Let's say I have an equation of the type X=ab+cd and I want to make the value of X considerably smaller while changing ab and cd individually rather than as a whole. Is there any way to do this other than simple multiplication and subtraction?

X is large, but b and d are too small for me to reduce by subtraction and potentially too similar throughout the sets to reduce with simple multiplication. I tried square roots, which kind of worked for me, but there was a problem -- square rooting X required sqrt(ab+cd), but what I had was sqrt(ab)+sqrt(cd), which is a mathematical no-no. So are there any other methods I'm overlooking?

Oh, and to clarify, only b and d are unalterable sets, but a and c are multiplicative modifiers which, if you can maintain the same scalable results, you're more than welcome to modify. I was considering something like yX=wab-zcd where w+z=y or something, I don't know. (edit again) Oh, and ok so a=3/2 and c=1/3
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
[MATH] Method to reduce both sides of an equation? - by TheouAegis - 01-14-2011, 04:07 AM