Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
How did they blend this on the SNES? *pic included*
Question 
A lot of SNES games used blending and alpha channels for some neat or spooky effects. GeGeGe no Kitarou on the SNES uses alpha channels a lot, but I encountered "screen" blending for the first time (as far as I'm aware) in an SNES game and can't figure out how they blended three parts.

Ok, first, here's the image (direct from the game excluding any unnecessary layers):
[Image: snesscreenblend.png]

First, the ectoplasm is on BG1 (BG layer 1), while the arms and head (as well as poor Kitarou) are on OBJ (object layer). Now, simple logic, in my Paintshop Pro I should be placing both the arms and the head on the same top layer, then put the ectoplasm on the lower layer. When I set the layer blend for OBJ (top layer) to "Screen" I get the resulting head+ectoplasm image seen in this picture. However, the legs get completely screened out, which is not the case in the game, as you can see in the picture. I tried doubling up the legs -- putting another set on the bottom level below the ectoplasm (unrealistic as this would not have been done on the SNES) -- but the legs were still screened too much.

The legs as you see them in that picture are the natural color as long as they're outside the ectoplasm. And no, there isn't a palette swap going on there, that image is the result of a blending that I can't seem to duplicate in Paintshop Pro.

Anyone have any ideas?
If anyone wants to try to get the resulting image in that screenshot, here is my sprite sheet with the current fruits of my labor. If you figure out how to get the proper blending, please let me know.

[Image: ge3snesnobiagari.png]
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
How did they blend this on the SNES? *pic included* - by TheouAegis - 03-10-2010, 10:38 PM