Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Need help ripping assets from .wii file format
Hey there! I'm very new to the whole ripping game, so I could really use some help with this.

What I'm trying to do is rip the assets of Toy Story Mania for the Wii, primarily the sound files. I managed to rip the .iso from the disc with CleanRip and extracted the files with Dolphin, but here's where I got stuck.

Nearly all of the assets are stored in a .wii file format.

I've been trying to look for a solution for a while, but everything seems to be turning up blank. I don't know if I'm supposed to somehow extract those files in some way, or if I'm supposed to look at any of the other files. Among the .wii files, I've also found .bik and .fsb files, which by a quick run with VLC Media Player, I found that they're the cutscene and background music files respectively, which isn't particularly helpful in my case.

I don't know if I did something wrong or if I'm simply out of luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanked by:
(02-08-2021, 06:59 PM)Piximator Wrote: Hey there! I'm very new to the whole ripping game, so I could really use some help with this.

What I'm trying to do is rip the assets of Toy Story Mania for the Wii, primarily the sound files. I managed to rip the .iso from the disc with CleanRip and extracted the files with Dolphin, but here's where I got stuck.

I've been trying to look for a solution for a while, but everything seems to be turning up blank. I don't know if I'm supposed to somehow extract those files in some way, or if I'm supposed to look at any of the other files. Among the .wii files, I've also found .bik and .fsb files, which by a quick run with VLC Media Player, I found that they're the cutscene and background music files respectively, which isn't particularly helpful in my case.

I don't know if I did something wrong or if I'm simply out of luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I downloaded my own copy of the game online and extracted the vo_eng.wii file shown in your screenshot. After running it through a hex editor, I saw that the header indicated it was an FSB file. I renamed it to vo_eng.fsb and opened it in foobar2000 (with the vgmstream component installed), and sure enough, it opened all of the files inside. If you install foobar and the vgmstream plugin, you can then convert all the files for each vo_[lang].wii file to whichever format you choose. If you intend to post them to The Sounds Resource, I recommend .wav format. Smile
Thanked by: Piximator
(02-08-2021, 08:04 PM)Quasi-Detective Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 06:59 PM)Piximator Wrote: Hey there! I'm very new to the whole ripping game, so I could really use some help with this.

Thanks!

I downloaded my own copy of the game online and extracted the vo_eng.wii file shown in your screenshot. After running it through a hex editor, I saw that the header indicated it was an FSB file. I renamed it to vo_eng.fsb and opened it in foobar2000 (with the vgmstream component installed), and sure enough, it opened all of the files inside. If you install foobar and the vgmstream plugin, you can then convert all the files for each vo_[lang].wii file to whichever format you choose. If you intend to post them to The Sounds Resource, I recommend .wav format. Smile

Cool! Once I get the chance, I'll give this a shot and update you if it worked. Thanks in advance!

And yeah, I do intend to upload 'em to TSR. I already did the same before for the long-forgotten mobile port, so it felt only natural that I do the same for the Wii version.

HOLY CRAP IT WORKED. Thank you!! This is definitely gonna take me some time to go through every file and convert them to .wav files, but hey, I guess that's just how it is. Thank you again, Quasi!
Thanked by:
(02-08-2021, 08:53 PM)Piximator Wrote: HOLY CRAP IT WORKED. Thank you!! This is definitely gonna take me some time to go through every file and convert them to .wav files, but hey, I guess that's just how it is. Thank you again, Quasi!

No problem, glad to help!  Big Grin
Thanked by: Piximator