Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[Help Still Needed] Extract, build a packer .csa files
So I recently discovered a thread dedicated to ripping files from the Star Stable games a while back. The thread is basically necro at this point but now I am curious. I have been trying to access the files for the MMO Star Stable Online to look at the models of the horses close-up. I was able to view them and edit them just fine for a while until a recent update had the files packed into 12 .CSA files for the data. I am a complete noob when it comes to programming so maybe this is waaaaay out of my league and i should learn at least some basic programming first but i wanted to take a shot in asking this forum for some assistance or to point me in the right direction to learn how to do it myself. 

The most helpful quote on the original thread was this:

Quote:Hi all,

yes sso changed the file structure, but is not difficult to break the new packed files.
In Packfiles folder are file.csa for data and csaheader for filename, size, crc and position.
Is very easy to build a packer. you need a programming language like java and a hex editor like HxD(for windows).

Unfortunately, SSO has encrypted the PTE files -.-

So i need to build a packer, but maybe i'm not using the right google searches cuz i can't find anything directly focused at what i'm looking for i guess?
Any help would be appreciated. I really do want to learn how this all works.
Thanked by:
bumping up for any help at all.
Thanked by:
So... no one can help. Sad.
Thanked by:
i hope it is not wrong to reply to this thread if its old but i dont know if i should make my own when ive seen a number of ones like this already. i have been desperately looking everywhere for more information as well and have failed to get anywhere with other game unpackers. if anyone has information on unpacking these files id be greatful.
there seems to be a general claim that it shouldnt be 'hard' to unpack these but no one is saying how to go about it. there is a youtuber who is currently doing this and claims its not hard (but will not say how), but i dont know where to start with this at all. even if someone points me in the direction of creating file unpackers/whatever would be useful at this point.. clearly its possible to do.

but if someone comes across this again with knowledge, i have attached two of the files that are packed (the .csa and its matching .csaheader) for those that want to look. i also heard that the files inside are also encrypted but that will be a challenge for a different day...

edit: oops, had issues with the file upload. give be a minute
(not sure if the files attached to my post so heres a dropbox i guess...)
Thanked by:
i hope its alright to technically bump tthis with some possible important new information?
So while i have yet to find an already existing game file unpacker that works with SSO's .csa files, i found that a game made by SSO's dev team, Pixel Tales, made Barbie Horse Adventures: Riding Camp. I already owned the game and noticed that it too had a .csa file. which made sense, theyre by the same devs! of course i kind of gave up on focusing on that since SSO's files didnt work in any extractors i have

yet, i was incorrect. my friend just opened that game's .csa file in the program Game Extractor. odd? i dont know if this info may help with understanding SSO's, but i find it strange that a game that likely uses the came custom engine, with the same custom packing DOES open while SSO's does not. id have to assume something was updated in the method but i thought i would toss the info here anyways.
Thanked by: Matryoshka
(04-22-2019, 11:38 PM)godsteeth Wrote: i hope its alright to technically bump tthis with some possible important new information?
So while i have yet to find an already existing game file unpacker that works with SSO's .csa files, i found that a game made by SSO's dev team, Pixel Tales, made Barbie Horse Adventures: Riding Camp. I already owned the game and noticed that it too had a .csa file. which made sense, theyre by the same devs! of course i kind of gave up on focusing on that since SSO's files didnt work in any extractors i have

yet, i was incorrect. my friend just opened that game's .csa file in the program Game Extractor. odd? i dont know if this info may help with understanding SSO's, but i find it strange that a game that likely uses the came custom engine, with the same custom packing DOES open while SSO's does not. id have to assume something was updated in the method but i thought i would toss the info here anyways.

So... your friend got the files?
Thanked by:
Maybe it's hopeless at this point but bumping in hopes someone can still help, even if it's through PM.
Thanked by:
(05-16-2019, 05:38 PM)Matryoshka Wrote:
(04-22-2019, 11:38 PM)godsteeth Wrote: i hope its alright to technically bump tthis with some possible important new information?

So... your friend got the files?
sorry for this late reply, i havent looked into these files in a while due to no progress. but sorry for any misunderstanding, we dont have the SSO files, as in the unpacked game files, we have files from another horse game the same company used that also had the same packer extension of .csa. that is what we opened in Game Extractor, not SSO files. 
If i go to C:\Program Files (x86/x64)\Star Stable Online\PackFiles you'll see there's a ton of .csa files and .csaheader files. thats what we attempted to open, which didnt work. but, from the company's other game, Barbie Horse Adventures: Riding Camp, the .csa files DO open and i would have to guess its whatever new protection SSO put on their files to prevent hacking.

im going to try and get back into this though and see what i can find. will post on this thread again if i make progress.

(09-01-2019, 09:06 PM)SimplisticCuriosities Wrote: Maybe it's hopeless at this point but bumping in hopes someone can still help, even if it's through PM.
its really a shame no one has come forward with info on how to do this, because its 100% possible as i have seen a Youtuber edit textures and models and put them in videos... of course, they dont want to give ANY information away. that would be too easy i guess lol
Thanked by:
hey there, any news? or could somebody help to build such a packer? I'm interested to.
Thanked by:
can somebody pls help? :'(

ty
Thanked by:
new year, new bump.
Thanked by:
I found unpacker, and I unpacked the game files

I can help
Thanked by:
(08-22-2020, 02:00 AM)Liza333 Wrote: I found unpacker, and I unpacked the game files

I can help

Can you help me then please? I would really appreciate it!
Like can you send the unpacker?
Thanked by:
With quickbms you can unpack the game files. Tutorial video:https://youtu.be/xZONf5fXEOg
Thanked by: kapibarcia
(08-24-2020, 04:05 PM)Liza333 Wrote: With quickbms you can unpack the game files. Tutorial video:https://youtu.be/xZONf5fXEOg

Thank you!~
Though there is another problem. Are the SSO' TGA Textures, PTE & FBX files encrypted? I cant open them in any of my 3D Editors & Raster Graphic Software' (Photoshop mainly) Maybe you have a clue how to open them?
Thanked by: