Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Obscure / Underated VG Song Thread
Music 
Ever heard a song from game that you think is really good that isn't very popular. I know I have! So I created this thread so we can share some songs! Can't wait to hear others suggestions!

Here are some of my picks:
  1. Cave Dweller Concert - Donkey Kong Country. Such a good immersive track with a great melody at the end.
  2. Water World - Donkey Kong Country 3. Another fantastic immersive track, in and a great parallel Aquatic Ambience. One of Eveline Novocovic's best.
  3. Hotel - EarthBound. Very different then the rest of EarthBound's OST. But that's one of the things I like about it! It has a great rythem to it!
Thanked by: BenitoChiles
Got some more suggestions!
  1. Intro Stage - Mega Man 7. My favorite song in the MM7 OST, although no Mega Man game really has a "obscure game" alot of songs from the SNES era onward form the classic games are not really talked about or remixed much, unlike the thousands of NES title remixes.
  2. Launchpad Labyrinth - Wario Land Shake It / Wario Land Shake Dimension. This song is just sooooooo good, however pretty much the entire game soundtrack, even the game is pretty much forgotten. It's a real shame.
  3. Underground - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. A really good melody driven immersive track, reminds me of a DKC song, so big surprise that I like it.
Thanked by:
1. Final Battle - Dark Rust is an absurdly good song and completely out of the ordinary from what you'd expect from a Pokemon boss theme, so it's a shame it's basically unknown cause it's from an obscure spinoff game's even more obscure sequel.

2. Blitz It from Splatoon 2 is wayyy less obscure than that but it seems to have fallen through the cracks a little bit as far as Splatoon songs go? Which is a shame, since it's a really well made, fun little song and it's always nice to see Nintendo's composers shining a spotlight on some less prevalent styles, like they did with Splattack (Octo) in the DLC (though that one isn't really obscure)

3. Zed's boss music from Lollipop Chainsaw is really weird but fun - it was made by Jimmy Urine of Mindless Self Indulgence fame and it... really shows, yet it also has its own identity? It's my favourite track from that game, though Jimmy's also done a couple really cool songs for other games, like Fighting With The Melody for The Metronomicon.

4. Big shoutouts for including a Shake It / Shake Dimension track, by the way! In a similar vein, Wario: Master of Disguise has a way-too-good soundtrack, especially the boss themes, with Head Honcho Carpaccio being my favourite track from the game. I'd say Master of Disguise is a bit less obscure now though, it seems to have recently picked up a bit of a cult / memetic following, so hopefully the same could happen to Shake Dimension?

5. Finally (though I could probably go all day but just for your sake) obligatory shoutouts to Heavy Metal from Henry Hatsworth. This game's soundtrack is EXCEPTIONAL, but it doesn't seem like the composer's made another OST since, which is a huge shame because it's been one of my favourites for around decade now, ever since I got the game.
Thanked by: Retro64
I feel like almost the entirety of the Disgaea franchise's ost is rarely mentioned, but I think they're all pretty great. Some of my favorites:

Etna Boogie - Disgaea

Do Your Best Girl - Disgaea

Spread Your Wings - Disgaea 2

Cyber Dance - Disgaea 2

Demon Academy - Disgaea 3

Poem of The Vagabond - Disgaea 3

Lord Willing - Disgaea 4

Sparking - Disgaea 4

Bloody Brass Band - Disgaea 5

Lieze Rock - Disgaea 5

Hard Devil Rock - Disgaea D2

Cradle Over - Disgaea D2
Thanked by:
(01-05-2019, 09:19 AM)StinkBrigade Wrote: 4. Big shoutouts for including a Shake It / Shake Dimension track, by the way! In a similar vein, Wario: Master of Disguise has a way-too-good soundtrack, especially the boss themes, with Head Honcho Carpaccio being my favourite track from the game. I'd say Master of Disguise is a bit less obscure now though, it seems to have recently picked up a bit of a cult / memetic following, so hopefully the same could happen to Shake Dimension?
Never actually played Master of Disguise due to its bad reviews, however Head Honcho Carpaccico is definitely a really good track! I really due wish Shake It would get more popularity, however the game is so perfectly average that it probably won't happen. Master of Disguise was known to be really terrible but also be a cult classic among it's fans creating people talking about it. Shake It isn't popular enough have mainstream fans and it isn't bad enough to have people talk about it.
Thanked by: StinkBrigade
I would say the Shoot'em Up category colud fall around here. I have a ton of picks to say

Expecting You - Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours (perfect voice, electric organ and dramatic feel, gives some chills)

Freedom - Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours (this one is more of a personal pick, the voice may feel great or bad for some, but the jazzy feel is pretty nice)

The World of Spirit - Dariusburst (powerful, with an Asian signature to it)

Good-Bye My World - Dariusburst

Hello 31337 - Dariusburst (maybe not that underrated, but worth listening for the funky beats)

KIMERA II - G-Darius (Machine beats with a dramatic female voice filling the atmosphere makes to be pretty great for a preparation in battle)

VISIONNERZ Arrange Version - Darius Gaiden (The theme of this song is more akin to a dream, hence the repetitive phrase you'll hear: ''Close your eyes... Close your head...'', but the Arrange has a feel for action, like a setting of a Star Fox trailer)

Other mentions from Taito: Invade You, Trials and Tribulations, Hinder Four, Invader Girl

As you can see, lot of Zuntata's work here is worth listening, still have other works to mention

Radiant Silvergun's OST as a whole, especially Return, Origin, Ruin, Evasion, and There Is Life Everywhere (these tracks where made by the composer of Final Fantasy Tactics himself, Hitoshi Sakamoto, so you can expect some pretty good orchestral music over here)

Ikaruga's OST is pretty strong, especially Ideal, Trial, Butsutekkai, and The Stone-Like

The Danmaku Unlimted 2 and 3 OST's have an air of awesomeness due to the usage of a Rock akin to Djent.

I could also add in the Powerhouse style of the Einhander OST, albeit that one may not be so underrated.

Now, for something different than shmups, the OST from Hotel Dusk and Last Window from the Kyle Hyde saga: classic jazz noir-esque tracks for an atmosphere of mystery akin to detective-related works of art, sprinkled in with some heavy tunes for when you're confronting somebody, like the track Sharp Blade (Last Window), to even sad, somewhat powerful tracks like The Last Sleep, Promise (Music Box Ver.).

The Myst series has an OST that goes into an evoque of orchestra with tribal notes, which are always welcoming, among other exotic and misterious feels (ik that Myst was popular, but the later entries aren't that much looked upon in these years)
--SOME PROJECTS IN DEVELOPMENT--
  • Red Crown Archives: Dedicated to preserve Cing's legacy (Hotel Dusk, Another Code, Last Window, etc)

-I WON'T BE AROUND TOO MUCH ON FORUMS, SO PM ME IF NECESSARY-
.. / .... --- .--. . / - --- / ... . . / -.-- --- ..- .-. / -.. .-. . .- -- ... .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.- / .- -. -.. / -.-- --- ..- .-. / .-- .. ... .... . ... .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.- / .-- .... . -. / .-- . / ... .... .- .-.. .-.. / -- . . - / .- --. .- .. -.
Joy Mech Fight's soundtrack so good.
For people that don't know Sukapon is the main character from Joy Mech Fight (He's the new assist trophy):
[Image: latest?cb=20180630204414&path-prefix=en]

Robot City I would say is the best song in the game. I am completely serious when I say I think it is the best song on the NES, It's that good.

Other good songs include:
  • Desert Tower
  • Ancient Village
  • Outside the Tower 2
  • Theme of Garorg (This one is especially good)
  • Stage Complete
  • Unknown 1
  • Unknown 2 (This one is also especially good)
  • Unknown 3
Truthfully pretty much the entire OST is pretty great, it's a huge shame that no tracks got into Smash Bros.
However I'm glad the game is getting attention at all!
It just released in the Japanese Nintnedo Switch Online for free under the FC games. So if you made a JP Nintendo account you can play it for free (if you have NSO).

Lastly if you enjoyed Robot City at all I really recommend this remix of it from GenG300:

Hope you enjoy the OST!
Thanked by:
Joy Mech Fight should have gotten way more attention than it did in smash.

I'm glad and all that Sukapon was an assist and I get why it was done given the obscurity of the game, but at the same time it could have really been revived as a title for Nintendo's IPs given it's literally the first fighting game nintendo ever produced. Same thing could be said for Murasame castle for similar and different reasons.

Speaking of Murasame castle:
Discord is Dioshiba#9513
(01-20-2019, 09:10 PM)DioShiba Wrote: Joy Mech Fight should have gotten way more attention than it did in smash.

I'm glad and all that Sukapon was an assist and I get why it was done given the obscurity of the game, but at the same time it could have really been revived as a title for Nintendo's IPs given it's literally the first fighting game nintendo ever produced. Same thing could be said for Murasame castle for similar and different reasons.

Speaking of Murasame castle:
Hey at least Murasame Castle has a Mii Costume and a remix! Better than what Sukapon got! It's also a shame Sukapon wasn't referenced in ARMS in anyway. If the ARMS team didn't even think about Joy Mech Fight once while making it I'll be super surprised.
Thanked by:

I know that Deltarune is not obscure, nor is it very underrated per say.
But, I do feel like a ton of it's good songs get hastily overshadowed by "World Revolving" or maybe "Rude Buster", a lot of people don't pay much attention to Card Castle which is a shame because it's perfect for the atmosphere of that part of the game.
Thanked by:
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (All of them, well except the roignal it didn't have any good ones) have extremely underrated music. It is literally a series in which the entire ost is fantastic Mario remixes by the SEGA Sound Team. The games themselves might be average but when it came to the music they gave it the same quality that they gave Sonic Generations and Unleashed. I'm serious they're that good. 

Just listen to what they did to the Underground theme (specifically the SM64 DS version what a obscure choice), I believe it is the best version of the Underground theme! And when it is remixed almost every Mario game you have serious competition!:

Speaking of obscure what about a Super Mario Land remix including the ending theme!:

They even did a Yoshi's Story & DKC remix (both also fantastic):

I could be sitting here recommending songs all day! I really recommend looking at the games playlist and see which one you like the best, there are TONS of great tracks.
Playlists:
London 2012: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...LjxtKlv0as
Sochi 2014: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...2yQVKfMmYF
Rio 2016: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...KEd8TJMVED
Thanked by:
Smile 
My list:
rayman: deep in the caves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9qudC8...ex=41&t=0s

miitopia: battle-world 6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9hUgu-z...-&index=26

despite coming from a goofy jrpg involving miis, most of miitopia's tracks are really damn good.

Shadow of the beast: welcome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX2_G2RwRy8

seriously, all of shadow of the beast's ost is criminally underrated in my opinion. Cry
Here's two great songs from the debunked Virgin/Shiny Studios

who knew a 7 up mascot could have some decent game music, and i actually enjoyed the games as well.
What Rips am i doing next not sure?
[Image: giphy.webp]
(02-28-2019, 02:03 AM)senjen Wrote: Here's two great songs from the debunked Virgin/Shiny Studios

who knew a 7 up mascot could have some decent game music, and i actually enjoyed the games as well.
Never actually played a Cool Spot game (because well, he's Cool Spot). But these are some really good tracks thanks for sharing! Smile
Thanked by:
the toy story 2 game has a very good ost, here's some highlights

gameing
Thanked by: