Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
Retro64's Customs
(02-08-2019, 12:02 AM)SmithyGCN Wrote: Uh, your Ramblin' Evil Mushroom has a very weird walk animation. You may want to make it look like it's taking two steps rather than making it look like the legs are slapping together. Your M&L DK looks good, though.
Thanks for the feedback! Any suggestions on how to fix the walking animation? I was actually trying to make the walk a little unorthodox to reference his odd battle sprite pose. I guess I took it too far.
Thanked by:
Starting a new project, a really special one. Mr. Saturn (MOTHER 4 Style).

As you may or may not know this year is the MOTHER series 30th anniversary. I wanted to make something special for it. These two frames are in no way completing the project, expect the amount of frames he had in MOTHER 3 in the end (or maybe more).

These two frames are a pixel by pixel recreation of the Mr. Saturn seen in the end of the MOTHER 4 teaser (of course credit to the MOTHER 4 team for the original sprites): https://youtu.be/-fNbJIl_Mkg?t=52
They have never been officially released as MOTHER 4 has been stuck in development for I believe almost 10 years. The fan project has know gone on for such a long time that it is no longer even a MOTHER game and is now a spiritual successor. That's the other reason I'm making this. Hype for this project has died down a long time ago with most people forgetting it even existed. So I'm hoping this project will shed some light (at least in our little community) to the amazing work the MOTHER 4 team has and is still doing (they just had an update on New Years: https://twitter.com/Mother4Game/status/1...3755132928). Bye for now expect to see an update soon!
Thanked by:
Update on Mr. Saturn.

Luckily by searching through the M4 website I found a front facing sprite for reference:

It was then edited into the walk cycle above.
Speaking of the walk cycle is it too bouncy? I have a less bouncy version if anybody wants to see for comparison.
Thanked by:
Several things about walking animations: 1) Bodies tend to drop down on a step where the foot contacts the ground and rise up during a passing position 2) When the foot contacts the ground, the leg takes the weight and bends as the body lowers 3) When the foot contacts the ground, the heel hits the floor first, then the rest of the foot. Any drapery like pants flop down last. 4) Try experimenting! There are basic rules for walking, but you can always build them to come up with something truly unique! I know you were trying something new, but you need to understand basic walking rules before you experiment.

Hope this helps! Smile

EDIT: Also, your bouncing for the Mr. Saturn. He should only bounce as soon as his foot hits the ground. Not between steps. It makes it look a might strange.
God is good.  Big Grin

An old fart who sits on a chair, giving animation and pixeling advice,... and calls everyone son...
Thanked by: Retro64
(02-09-2019, 10:42 PM)SmithyGCN Wrote: Several things about walking animations: 1) Bodies tend to drop down on a step where the foot contacts the ground and rise up during a passing position 2) When the foot contacts the ground, the leg takes the weight and bends as the body lowers 3) When the foot contacts the ground, the heel hits the floor first, then the rest of the foot. Any drapery like pants flop down last. 4) Try experimenting! There are basic rules for walking, but you can always build them to come up with something truly unique! I know you were trying something new, but you need to understand basic walking rules before you experiment.

Hope this helps! Smile

EDIT: Also, your bouncing for the Mr. Saturn. He should only bounce as soon as his foot hits the ground. Not between steps.  It makes it look a might strange.
It does thanks!

Does this look better?

I finally finished Boshi (all the way back from page 1):

Sorry for the long wait!
Thanked by:
Sure does! And you're welcome! Wink
God is good.  Big Grin

An old fart who sits on a chair, giving animation and pixeling advice,... and calls everyone son...
To celebrate the Link's Awakening remake announcement I made a sheet in that game style. I made Ness because I thought that it would look good in that style (or maybe it was just an excuse to make more EarthBound stuff ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ). I also added a SNES palette too.

Thanked by:
I like the idea and build behind them, but I don't think the top one will work since you have four unique colours and a background. Still, I like how both turned out. Smile
Made a little sprite of Duster to practice the Mother 4 style again before I start working on more Mr. Saturn stuff.

Once I'm done with Mr. Saturn if anybody would like me to extend Duster into a sheet let me know!
Thanked by:
Update on Mr. Saturn. Added more frames to the side walk recreation.

Thanked by:
Trying something a bit different.
Terrapin (Unarmed):

Thanked by:
I have been on a Yoshi's Island kinda mood lately so I made Raphael The Raven (Super Mario Maker Style).

Full sheet coming soon!
Thanked by:
Here's Tricky from Diddy Kong Racing (DK:KOS Style)!

This is probably one of my most complex sprites yet so I'm pretty proud on how it came out! Tell me what you think!
Thanked by: Ton, Acfusion
(03-01-2019, 03:25 PM)Retro64 Wrote: I have been on a Yoshi's Island kinda mood lately so I made Raphael The Raven (Super Mario Maker Style).
[Image: attachment.php?aid=9352]   
Full sheet coming soon!

Nice Raphael sprite, I also liked him in paper mario.
Here's a preview of a little thing I've been working on

Thanked by: