Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Feedback Thingy
Star 
So I started a thread where I'll show off art/sprites I'm working on. Some may be WIPs or just art.
I'm doing this because I have too much sprites/pixel art lying around and I don't want 'em to go to waste.
I also want to receive feedback and gain confidence. I can take constructive criticism by the way!

Okay, so I'm making a sheet of a pokėmon I like, Lycanroc! I'm going for 2D platformer styled a mystery dungeon styled sprites all of it's forms. I'll be starting with my (obvious) favorite form, midnight.
I've only made one sprite so far...
here it is:
[Image: IMG_4297.png]
Tada! (sorry it's too small I couldn't resize more than 10x without runining it's quality!  It's real size is 48x48 px btw!)
In my opinion, I think that the idle sprite is the most important sprite in a sheet
so I gotta make sure it at least looks okay.
Side note, it's a heavily edited sprite from Sun and Moon:
[Image: IMG_4296.png]
(Why did this one resize well!?)
... So any thoughts?
Thanked by:
While I would say that, this edit has given you some practice with colored outlines, I will also say that you should not rely on editing to help advance your skills. In fact I would advise against it in this case because you're doing something that anyone can do in a matter of minutes, if not seconds.

Even more so, I feel that you could benefit from looking at the spriter's dictionary and looking up some techniques that could help you further those skills. Because even with the colored outlines compare to the original sprite, your edit looks absolutely flat due to a lack of contrast between the red values and the outline feels rushed, and it could have probably benefited from anti aliasing.

Also, if you really are doing this for a game I would question why you would want to use edited sprites for it when you could make your own sprites from scratch utilizing whatever references you can gather. Especially in the case that translating sprites from an RPG directly to Platforming would be more of a headache in itself because you would have to completely deconstruct the sprite as it is and then apply a skeleton for it. And there is more risk involved of making a sprite that doesn't look good for the final product.
Discord is Dioshiba#9513
Thanked by: Serial
I'm a sprite edit apologist. I think it's a perfectly legitimate way to make customs, and sometimes they can even be great. This does mostly look like a reshaded sprite though, and the angle is all wrong for a 2D game.
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
I would advise starting with outlines before anything else. Outlines, without any colours or shades, are a great way to work out details. You have a few outline areas that are not smoothed out properly, and there are details within the sprite itself which are messy and would be solved if you looked at an outline first.

Next is to work on a good colour palette, which you can do without having to apply any colours to the sprite. There is ok contrast between the "light grey" and "dark grey" shading in your sprite, but the reds are much too close together.
Woops, apologies for not posting in a while, I forgot about this...
Anyhoo, I actually did move on from sprite editing and even got into pixelart.
Check it out:
[Image: IMG6465.png][Image: IMG6524.png][Image: IMG6599.png]
thoughts?
Thanked by: